- Editor Rating
- Barclays Arrival Plus Bonus
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PopularityEditor: 95%
- ValueEditor: 95%
*This offer has expired and is no longer available. Read about the new Barclays Arrival® Premier World Elite Mastercard®.
The Barclays Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® is currently offering a 40,000 miles sign-up bonus worth $420. In terms of value, this is one of the best credit card bonuses available.
If it weren’t for the $89 annual fee, this card and offer would be a no-brainer. Thankfully, the annual fee is waived for the first year, which will give you enough time to evaluate how useful this card will be for your future needs.
Regardless of the annual fee after the first year, the high rewards earning rate will likely make it valuable for you if you typically spend enough on credit card purchases annually. The Arrival Plus® card is one of the most popular options among frequent travelers.
We love bonus opportunities (bank bonuses are our specialty) and this one definitely caught our eye enough to write about.
We’ll review the bonus offer for the Barclays Arrival Plus® card below.
40,000 Bonus Miles Worth $420 With The Barclays Arrival Plus®
You’ll earn 40,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. When you redeem towards qualified travel purchases, these 40K points will be worth $400. Add to that the 5% in bonus miles you’ll get back after redemption, the bonus is effectively worth $420 in travel.
As an everyday spending card, you’ll earn 2 miles per $1 spent on all purchases. Taking into account the 5% miles back after redemption, you’re essentially getting back 2.1% in rewards with this card. This makes it one of the best rewards cards for everyday use, without any thought needed towards spending categories.
Keep in mind, if you don’t plan on redeeming towards travel, this may not be the right fit for you. Redeeming towards cash back, gift cards, or merchandise will make your miles worth much less. But, unlike airline or hotel branded credit cards, you have the flexibility to redeem towards travel purchased on any airline, hotel, or travel website. The Barclays Arrival Plus card categorizes many different options as travel:
|Travel Spending Categories|
|Airlines||Hotels||Car Rental Agencies|
|Motels||Travel Agencies||Discount Travel Sites|
You’ll have to reach at least 10,000 miles before you can start redeeming towards travel, which can be used towards travel purchases worth $100 or more within the last 120 days. If an airline ticket cost you $250, you can redeem 10,000 miles ($100) towards that purchase. In practicality, airfare and hotels will be redeemed for most often. There’s no rush to use your miles as they will never expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing.
How To Get The 40,000 Miles Bonus
If you can spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening, then you’re set. Keep in mind, it’s 90 days from the time your account is approved, not from when you actually receive the card and activate it.
If you don’t know if you can spend $3,000 in 90 days, or if you are taking advantage of multiple card bonuses, here are some ideas to help you reach the minimum spending requirement.
- Fund Checking accounts with the credit card. Many banks allow credit card funding towards the opening deposit when you open a Checking account. Many people like doing this when taking advantage of Checking and Savings account bonuses. See more on credit card funding here, and current bank bonuses here.
- Buy Gift Cards. Purchase gift cards to restaurants, gas stations, or supermarkets that you know you’ll eventually spend on anyway. American Express and Visa Gift cards are also good ideas, but they will involve purchase fees. Here are some gift card ideas. Be careful with Citi credit cards, as they will code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and you’ll incur the fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards (it’s a good idea to do this with any card in general).
- Bills, Mortgage, Property Taxes. Most electric, internet, cable and cell phone providers will let you pay your monthly bill with a credit. Many will also let you pre-pay and keep a credit balance on your account as well. You can use third party services like TIO.com and Plastiq.com to pay for your mortgage and other expenses where you normally can’t use a credit card for.
*See all the best ways of meeting the minimum spending requirements for credit card bonuses here.
What’s The Competition?
The main competitor card bonuses for the Barclays Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® are going to come from the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card and the Capital One® Venture® card. Both of these competitors have good bonus offers, with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® edging out the rewards earning potential if you spend a good deal on Travel and Dining. You’ll have to redeem towards travel to maximize the rewards for both cards.
If you don’t think you’ll spend enough on your card to justify an annual fee, the Citi Double Cash card may be a better fit with its 2% maximum cash back rate on all purchases. It just doesn’t have a sign-up bonus offer to top it off.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred®
Capital One® Venture®
Citi Double CashThe bonus offers available are going to be a big consideration for the first year or first few years, since the bonus will essentially cover the annual fee for that period of time. This is something you should keep mind before taking a card out of consideration just because it has an annual fee. After the first year or so, you’ll then have to weigh the annual fees and the ongoing rewards earning potential.
More At MoneysMyLife:
- HSBC Bank $350 & $750 Checking Account Bonuses
- Best Bank Account Promotions And Bonuses June 2018
- Best Savings Accounts And High Yield Rates June 2018
- CIT Bank Promotions: Online Money Market Account 1.85% APY Offer
- TD Bank Promotions: $300 & $150 Checking Account Bonuses
- Barclays Arrival® Premier World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 75k Miles Yearly
- Chase Coupon Promo Codes: $200, $300, $350, $500 – June 2018
- Best CD Rates | Find & Compare CD Rates June 2018
- BBVA Compass Bank Promotions: $150, $200, $250 Checking/Savings Bonuses
- TD Ameritrade Promotions: $600, $1500, $2500 Cash Bonus Offers
- Ally Invest $3500 Bonus Cash & Free Trades Promotion
- Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ Bonus: $300 Coupon Offer
- Chase Total Checking Account Bonus: $200 Coupon Available Online
- Chase Bank Business Checking Promotion: $200 Sign-Up Cash Bonus
- Best Credit Card Sign-Up Bonus Offers June 2018