- Editor Rating
- Barclaycard Arrival® Plus Bonus
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PopularityEditor: 95%
- ValueEditor: 95%
The Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard® is currently offering a 60,000 miles sign-up bonus worth $630. In terms of value, this is one of the best credit card bonuses available.
If it weren’t for the $89 annual fee, this card and offer would be a no-brainer. On top of that, the annual fee is no longer waived for the first year as was the case in the past.
Regardless of the annual fee, the high rewards earning rate will likely make it valuable for you if you typically spend enough on credit card purchases annually. The Barclaycard Arrival® Plus card is one of the most popular options among frequent travelers.
I love bonus opportunities (bank bonuses are our specialty) and this one definitely caught my eye enough to write about. I’ll review the bonus offer for the Barclaycard Arrival® Plus card below.
- Enjoy 60,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days and paying the annual fee
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase
- Book travel your way-no airline, seat or hotel restrictions-and redeem your miles for travel statement credits
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- No foreign transaction fees
- International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- See Rates & Fees
|Intro Purchase APR & Duration:||N/A|
|Ongoing Purchase APR:||17.74%, 21.74% or 24.74% variable based on your creditworthiness|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR & Duration:||0% intro for first 12 billing cycles following each BT that posts within 45 days of account opening|
|Ongoing Balance Transfer APR:||17.74%, 21.74% or 24.74% variable based on your creditworthiness|
|Balance Transfer Fee:||Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee:||0% of each transaction in U.S. dollars|
|Cash Advance Fee:||Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance APR:||26.99% Variable|
60,000 Bonus Miles Worth $630 With The Barclaycard Arrival® Plus
You’ll earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days and paying the annual fee. When you redeem towards qualified travel purchases, these 60K points will be worth $600. Add to that the 5% in bonus miles you’ll get back after redemption, the bonus is effectively worth $630 in travel.
As an everyday spending card, you’ll earn 2 miles per $1 spent on all purchases. Taking into account the 5% miles back after redemption, you’re essentially getting back 2.1% in rewards with this card. This makes it one of the best rewards cards for everyday use, without any thought needed towards spending categories.
Keep in mind, if you don’t plan on redeeming towards travel, this may not be the right fit for you. Redeeming towards cash back, gift cards, or merchandise will make your miles worth much less. But, unlike airline or hotel branded credit cards, you have the flexibility to redeem towards travel purchased on any airline, hotel, or travel website. The Barclaycard Arrival® Plus card categorizes many different options as travel:
|Travel Spending Categories|
|Airlines||Hotels||Car Rental Agencies|
|Motels||Purchase & Travel Agencies||Discount Travel Sites|
|Campgrounds||Buses||The Account Annual Fee|
You’ll have to reach at least 10,000 miles before you can start redeeming towards travel, which can be used towards travel purchases worth $100 or more within the last 120 days. If an airline ticket cost you $250, you can redeem 10,000 miles ($100) towards that purchase. In practicality, airfare and hotels will be redeemed for most often. There’s no rush to use your miles as they will never expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing.
How To Get The 60,000 Miles Bonus
If you can spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening and pay the annual fee, then you’re set. Keep in mind, it’s 90 days from the time your account is approved, not from when you actually receive the card and activate it.
If you don’t know if you can spend $5,000 in 90 days, or if you are taking advantage of multiple card bonuses, here are some ideas to help you reach the minimum spending requirement.
- Fund Checking accounts with the credit card. Many banks allow credit card funding towards the opening deposit when you open a Checking account. Many people like doing this when taking advantage of Checking and Savings account bonuses. See more on credit card funding here, and current bank bonuses here. Top bank account bonuses include those from Chase Bank, TD Bank and HSBC Bank.
- Buy Gift Cards. Purchase gift cards to restaurants, gas stations, or supermarkets that you know you’ll eventually spend on anyway. American Express and Visa Gift cards are also good ideas, but they will involve purchase fees. Here are some gift card ideas. Be careful with Citi credit cards, as they will code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and you’ll incur the fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards (it’s a good idea to do this with any card in general).
- Bills, Mortgage, Property Taxes. Most electric, internet, cable and cell phone providers will let you pay your monthly bill with a credit. Many will also let you pre-pay and keep a credit balance on your account as well. You can use third party services like Plastiq.com to pay for your mortgage and other expenses where you normally can’t use a credit card for.
*See all the best ways of meeting the minimum spending requirements for credit card bonuses here.
What’s The Competition?
The main competitor card bonuses for the Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard®are going to come from the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card and the Capital One® Venture® card. Both of these competitors have good bonus offers, with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® edging out the rewards earning potential if you spend a good deal on Travel and Dining. You’ll have to redeem towards travel to maximize the rewards for both cards.
If you don’t think you’ll spend enough on your card to justify an annual fee, the Citi Double Cash card may be a better fit with its 2% maximum cash back rate on all purchases. It just doesn’t have a sign-up bonus offer to top it off.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred®
| The Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card currently has an offer for 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Redeeming the 50,000 bonus points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® program, which is praised by users, will get you $625 in value towards travel. |
The 50K bonus points are worth $625 because you get 25% more value whenever you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Ongoing rewards with this card include earning 2 points per $1 on Travel and Dining at restaurants. The annual fee is $95, but it is waived for the first year. Full Review
Capital One® Venture®
|The Capital One Venture card currently earns a 50,000 miles bonus when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months. These bonus miles are equal to $500 in travel and are easy to redeem as a statement credit towards the cost of your travel purchases. This card will earn an ongoing 2 miles for every dollar you spend on all purchases. 100 miles is equal to $1 in travel rewards. If you don't redeem towards travel purchases, your miles will have less value. The annual fee is $95, which is waived for the first year. Full Review|
Citi Double Cash
| The Citi Double Cash Card now has a $100 sign-up bonus offer and also earns up to 2% cash back on all purchases. You'll earn 1% cash back for all purchases charged to the card. You'll then earn an additional 1% cash back when you pay off those purchases, as long as you pay at least the minimum due. There are no spending categories to keep up with.|
There is no longer a 0% introductory APR on Balance Transfers offer for this card, but the sign-up bonus is a great substitute. There's no annual fee with this card. Full Review
- Best Bank Account Promotions And Bonuses August 2018
- Best CD Rates | Find & Compare CD Rates August 2018
- Best Savings Accounts And High Yield Rates August 2018
- Chase Coupon Promo Codes: $200, $300, $350, $500 – August 2018
- TD Ameritrade Promotions: $600, $1500, $2500 Cash Bonus Offers
- Chase Bank Business Checking Promotion: $200 Sign-Up Cash Bonus
- CIT Bank Promotions: Online Money Market Account 1.85% APY Offer
- Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard® 60,000 Bonus Miles ($630 Value)
- Best Brokerage Promotions And Bonuses August 2018
- Barclays Arrival® Premier World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 75k Miles Yearly
- HSBC Bank $350 & $750 Checking Account Bonuses
- Chase Total Checking Account Bonus: $200 Coupon Available Online
- Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ Bonus: $300 Coupon Offer
- TD Bank Promotions: $300 & $150 Checking Account Bonuses
- Best Online Brokers For Trading Stocks August 2018