- Editor Rating
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Bonus
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PopularityEditor: 95%
- ValueEditor: 90%
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® card is probably one of the most popular credit cards with a bonus today. Currently, you can earn 50,000 bonus points that are worth $625 toward travel when you redeem through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® program, which is one of the best credit card rewards programs. This is the best card bonus value for a card with an annual fee below $100 (*the $95 annual fee is no longer waived the 1st year).
You can also earn another 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make your first purchase in the first 3 months from account opening. The ongoing rewards are also great, at 2 points per dollar spent on Travel and Dining. Like other great travel cards, there’s no foreign transaction fee.
Also, keep in mind Chase also offers bonuses for their Checking and Savings accounts as well.
We’ll review the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card bonus below.
How The 50K Bonus Points Are Worth $625
You’ll earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. If you think you’ll have any difficulty meeting that spending requirement, we go over some options further down below.
You’ll have several options for redeeming your bonus points, including cash back, gift cards, or to book travel through the Ultimate Rewards program. Redeeming with cash back or gift cards will only yield a value of 1%, or $500 for the 50K points. When you book travel (airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises) through the Ultimate Rewards program, you’ll get 25% more value resulting in $625 worth of travel with your bonus points.
The bonus offer is one of the best, but this card won’t be a good fit if you don’t spend much on Travel and Dining, where you’ll earn 2 points per dollar. Purchases outside of these categories will only earn 1 point per $1.
The Dining category includes fine dining, as well as casual spots. The Travel category includes airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis (Uber counts), limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.
If you don’t spend much on Travel and Dining, a more flexible rewards card like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus may be a better option with its 2% (2.1% for travel redemption) earnings rate on all purchases.
One of the best ways to take advantage of the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card is to supplement it with the Chase Freedom card. Both cards earn Ultimate Rewards points, so you can pool them together. The Chase Freedom® card earns 5% cash back on categories that change each quarter. Earn 5% on those categories when appropriate, and use your Sapphire Preferred® card on all other purchases. The 25% more value on travel through the Ultimate Rewards program is only a benefit of the Sapphire Preferred® card, so having both is a great pairing.
Finally, one of the biggest benefits for travelers with this card is the option to transfer your points over to partner airline and hotel loyalty programs at a 1:1 rate. It’s a great way to get that airline ticket or hotel night if you’re falling a bit short on those miles/points.
|Airline & Hotel 1:1 Points Transfer Partners|
|British Airways Executive Club||Flying Blue AIR FRANCE KLM||Korean Air SKYPASS||Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer|
|Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards||United MileagePlus||Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||World of Hyatt|
|IHG Rewards Club||Marriott Rewards||The Ritz-Carlton Rewards|
Earning The 50,000 Bonus Points
If you need some ideas on top of your everyday spending to meet the $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months requirement, use our Card Bonus Spending Requirement guide. Here are some options included in the guide:
- Purchase Gift Cards that you know you’ll end up using. Grocery store and Restaurant gift cards are popular choices. See some of the best gift card ideas here. American Express and Visa Gift Cards offer more flexibility but will incur purchase fees, and possibly shipping fees when purchased online. Check this page for updated fee-waiver promo codes from Amex. *Tip: call in to have your Cash Advance limit set to $0 before purchasing gift cards as sometimes issuers will code them as Cash Advances and you’ll incur the fees. Citi has been known to do this.
- Fund new Checking/Savings accounts with your credit card and earn bonuses too. Many top banks like Chase and TD Bank have sign-up bonuses and can be funded with a credit card towards the opening deposit. See current bank offers here and banks that can be funded with a credit card here.
Many other options include paying your property taxes, your rent, or your mortgage but see the guide for all the details.
What’s The Competition?
Below are some credit cards with sign-up bonuses that you’ll want to compare with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card before applying.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
|The Capital One Venture card currently earns a 50,000 miles bonus when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months. These bonus miles are equal to $500 in travel and are easy to redeem as a statement credit towards the cost of your travel purchases. This card will earn an ongoing 2 miles for every dollar you spend on all purchases. 100 miles is equal to $1 in travel rewards. If you don't redeem towards travel purchases, your miles will have less value. The annual fee is $95, which is waived for the first year. Full Review|
Plan To Supplement With The Chase Freedom® Card?
|The Chase Freedom® credit card is going to earn you a $150 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. You can also earn another $25 bonus when you add your first authorized user and make your first purchase within this same 3 month period. People like this card because it earns 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories that change every quarter. The downside is you have to keep up with the quarterly categories, and activate the category each quarter before you can earn the 5%. You'll earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.There's also a 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on both Purchases and Balance Transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR will take over. The Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred with a minimum of $5. Many people have this as a supplemental card to use specifically on the 5% category spending, and use other other cards when it's more beneficial. The categories change each quarter, but historically they have included things like gas stations, grocery stores, and holiday shopping. There's no annual fee to be concerned with, so it fits well with such a strategy. Full Review|
Other Top Pages At MoneysMyLife You May Like:
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus 40,000 Bonus Miles ($420 Value)
- Best Credit Card Sign-Up Bonus Offers March 2018
- Best Brokerage Promotions And Bonuses March 2018
- Best Bank Account Promotions And Bonuses March 2018
- Best Savings Accounts And High Yield Rates March 2018
- Best CD Rates | Find & Compare CD Rates March 2018
- CIT Bank Promotions: Online Money Market Account Earns 1.75% APY
- Chase Total Checking Account $200 Coupon Available Online Now
- Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ Review: $300 Coupon Bonus
- Ally Invest $200 Cash Bonus/Commission-Free Trades Promotion
- Chase Coupon Promo Codes: $200, $300, $350, $500 (March 2018)
- BBVA Compass Bank Bonuses & Promotions For Checking, Savings And More
- Chase Bank Business Checking Promotion: $200 Sign-Up Cash Bonus
- TD Bank Bonus For Checking Accounts: $150 To $300 Cash
- American Express Gift Card Promotion Codes March 2018