The Citi Premier® Card has a sign-up bonus offer for 75,000 bonus ThankYou Points after making $4,000 in purchases with your card within the first 3 months of account opening. This is down from 80,000 bonus points previously offered. However, you may still get 80,000 bonus points with this link (YMMV).
Updaate 4/6/2023: The signup bonus is back up to 75,000 for a limited time, higher than their standard 60,000 offer. It had been as high as 80,000.
Update 1/10/2023: The welcome bonus decreased from 80K to 60K. Most public offer links show the bonus at 60,000 points, but use the above link to see if you can still get 80K points (YMMV).
The Citi Premier Card is an average travel rewards card. Through the Citi ThankYou rewards program, the Citi Premier Card lets you earn 3X points at gas stations, restaurants, and grocery stores, as well as on airfare and hotel stays. You will earn 1X points for all other purchases. This card has a great rewards structure for frequent travelers but does fall a bit short for a premium card. Limitations include:
- Annual fee. With the card’s lack of strong perks, the $95 annual fee is more difficult to justify.
- Complicated rewards structure. To get the maximum value for your points, you’ll need to transfer your points or do some serious strategizing.
- Weak transfer partners. JetBlue is the only domestic carrier you can transfer points to. You’re also looking at a 1,000 ThankYou points to 800 TrueBlue points transfer ratio, which is less than ideal.
- 3X bonus points at supermarkets, gas stations, restaurants, air travel, and hotels.
- 1X bonus points on all other purchases.
- $100 annual hotel savings benefit.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Points transfer to airline loyalty programs such as JetBlue TrueBlue, Virgin Flying Club, and more.
Do you spend a lot on travel, gas, restaurants and supermarkets? Looking for points you can redeem for travel? Then the Citi Premier Card is worth consideration. Otherwise, consider another travel credit card.
*Citi also has great bonuses for their Checking/Savings accounts.