- Editor Rating
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Bonus ValueEditor: 80%
- Card BenefitsEditor: 80%
The Hilton Honors Card from American Express is 1 of several credit cards offered by American Express that are affiliated with The Hilton Group. This card doesn’t have an annual fee and currently has a 50,000 bonus points offer. We value these bonus points at around $250, which is lower than an equivalent amount of miles/points with non-branded general rewards cards.
As an overview, it is a good supplementary card to have in your possession only if you tend to be loyal to the Hilton Portfolio of hotels. Because, as a general credit card, it doesn’t offer the most bang for your buck in terms of rewards rates.
The Hilton Honors Card 50,000 Bonus Points Offer
Not a bad offer at all for a card with no annual fee, when you redeem towards free hotel nights. You can earn the 50,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. A $1,000 minimum spending requirement should be easy to accomplish, but below are some tips on meeting the requirement if needed.
Hilton Honors Card From American Express Pros & Cons
- Earn 7X Hilton Honors bonus points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio. The Hilton Portfolio:
- Properties: 5,100
- Countries: 103
- Earn 5X Hilton Honors bonus points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors bonus points on all other eligible purchases.
You’ll get Hilton Honors Silver status for free with this Hilton Honors card. You can also earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status for the entire following calendar year by spending $20,000 on eligible purchases in the current calendar year.
Highlight Silver status benefits:
- Guaranteed member discount
- Extra points towards free nights (20%)
- No resort fees on Reward stays
- In-Room and Lobby Wi-Fi
- Late Check-out
- 5th Standard Reward Night Free
- Elite Tier Rollover Nights
Highlight Gold status benefits (if you earn the upgrade):
- All Silver status benefits
- Extra points towards free nights is 80% instead of 20%
- Space-available Room Upgrade (up to Executive room type)
- Complimentary breakfast at all hotels
- Unlimited Milestone Bonuses
Spend abroad and you won’t get charged additional fees, which average around 3% of transactions with cards that don’t have this feature.
- The Rewards.
- Redeem points for hotel stays, airfare, car rentals, cruises, shopping, dining or charity
- Points don’t expire as long as you use the card at least once every 12 months
- No limit on number of points you can earn
- No blackout dates or capacity controls
- Use partial points to book rewards
- Use points to upgrade a reservation
- Can transfer points to 40+ airline partners
- No Annual Fee. A definite plus point for this card is that there is no annual fee to pay.
- ShopRunner. If you do a fair amount of shopping online, you may have come across the ShopRunner service, where you’ll get free 2-day shipping on eligible items at a growing network of 140+ online stores. Your ShopRunner membership is free with the Hilton Honors Card.
- Car Rental Coverage for Damage and Loss. If you pay for the entire car rental using your Hilton Honors Card from American Express, do not take out the additional collision damage waiver protection. If the car is subsequently damaged or stolen, you will get a level of coverage that can cover you in the event of such an occurrence. This will not apply for car rentals in New Zealand, Australia or Italy. Keep in mind, this is secondary coverage only and does not include liability coverage.
- Travel Accident Insurance. When using your card to pay for the entire fare, travel accident coverage is provided for you and your family. Coverage includes traveling by Common Carrier (e.g. plane, train, ship, or bus).
- Shopping and Entertainment. An extended warranty option is available when your Hilton Honors Card from American Express is used to pay for a purchase. In cases where the manufacturer’s warranty is five years or less, your warranty will be extended for up to 2 years as long as there is a valid US warranty in place. The coverage is limited to the amount charged on the card. *For residents of Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Northern Mariana Islands, your coverage will continue to match the original warranty period for warranties of less than one (1) year or provide one (1) additional year if the warranty is between one (1) and five (5) years.
- Purchase Protection. Purchase protection is offered for up to 120 days after you make a transaction with your Hilton Honors Card from American Express. It provides coverage for theft and accidental damage with a limit of $1,000 per occurrence, with a total of no more than $50,000 per year. *For residents of New York, Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Northern Mariana Islands coverage duration remains at 90 days.
- Fraud Protection. When you use your Hilton Honors Card from American Express, if there are any fraudulent transactions, you will not be responsible for any fraudulent charges, and there will be no deductible to pay.
- Limited Rewards Categories. The three rewards categories are U.S. Gas Stations, U.S. Restaurants, and U.S. Supermarkets. Using your card for other purchases, the rewards rate will be lower.
- Only worthwhile if you stay with Hilton Portfolio Hotels. The rewards scheme on this card is only beneficial if you are someone who regularly stays at properties within the Hilton Portfolio.
As with any other hotel branded credit card, the Hilton Honors Card from American Express only makes sense to carry if you’re particularly loyal to the Hilton Portfolio. The good news is you can earn rewards at your own pace as there is no annual fee to weigh in.
There are many other cards available that offer no annual fee and give you back more flexible rewards, such as cash back. One popular option is the Capital One® Quicksilver® Rewards, which offers a great cash back rate, bonus offer, and has no annual fee. The Citi Double Cash is another great choice with no annual fee along with a solid cash back rate on all purchases.