The Platinum Card from American Express has an offer for 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership (ways to meet this spending requirement). See how this compares with other top card bonuses.
Update 11/26/2022: Frontier Airline is no longer an option for the $200 airline credit. But many remains.
Update 11/10/2022: While not widely available, some are getting targeted with a 150K bonus points offer via referral links.
Update 11/10/22: 100K welcome bonus has returned
The offer comes in the form of Membership Rewards points. The easiest options for redeeming these points would be by booking travel through American Express or by redeeming for gift cards. If you’re looking to maximize your rewards, you’ll want to transfer your points to a partner program.
The biggest drawback to this card is the $695 annual fee, as this card falls in the premium class of credit cards (unlike typical credit cards, the Card allows you to carry a balance for certain charges, but not all).
The Platinum Card has a market because it offers premium travel benefits, such as airline lounge access, an annual $200 airline fee credit at one select qualifying airline, an annual $200 hotel credit on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel, and an exhaustive list of many more travel perks.
For frequent travelers, the added benefits make sense in terms of value and added luxury.
- 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X points on prepaid hotels booked on AmexTravel.com.
- 1X points on all other purchases.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on select prepaid hotel bookings through American Express Travel using the Platinum Card.
- Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ credit. Walmart+ members enjoy shopping perks – both online and in-store – at Walmart. Use your Platinum Card to pay for a monthly Walmart+ membership and receive a statement credit that covers the full cost each month.
- Access to The Global Lounge Collection – more than 1,400 airport lounges across 650 cities in 140 countries and counting.
- $15 in Uber Cash each month, plus a bonus $20 in December, for rides or eats orders in the U.S.
- $200 per calendar year in statement credits when incidental travel fees on one qualifying airline are charged to your Card.
- Get up to $300 in statement credits each year on a digital or club membership at Equinox. Through 2022, statement credits through this benefit will be provided on a monthly basis of up to $25 back per month. Starting in 2023, statement credits through this benefit will be provided on an annual basis of up to $300 per year.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue – up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- Get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR membership
READ MORE: SEE THE BEST BANK BONUSES HERE AND THE BEST INVESTING BONUSES HERE.
American Express Platinum – Special Offer For You. Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 3 months.
All American Express Cards – https://amex.co/2LLS4Tv