This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’ll review the latest promotions and offers from Hanscom Federal Credit Union here. While there are some limitations, a few of Hanscom’s Checking and Savings products are worth taking a look for their competitive rates.
Established in 1953 and headquartered in Hanscom AFB in Massachusetts, Hanscom Federal CU has around 20 locations throughout Massachusetts and Virginia. Membership is available nationwide, so all U.S. residents can take advantage of these offers.
See the current offers below.
Hanscom Federal CU’s Kasasa Checking Rate Offer: 2.50% APY
*This account currently doesn’t make it onto our Best Reward Checking Accounts list. The rate is no longer being updated.
See the best Checking rates list here.
- Rate offer: 2.50% APY up to $15k
- 0.40% APY $15k+
- Availabilty: Nationwide via membership
- Minimum for APY: $0
- Maximum for APY: $15k
- Monthly service fee: $0
Hanscom’s Kasasa Checking account is worth mentioning because of its cash back/interest earning potential.
With this option, you’ll be able to earn 2.50% APY on your balances, but that’s only good for balances up to $15,000. You’ll also have to meet monthly qualifications for this feature (same as for account option 1):
- Have at least 12 debit card or credit card purchases post and settle
- Have at least 1 direct deposit (ACH) transaction post and settle
- Be enrolled in and agree to receive Online Statements
Again, the account is still free if you don’t meet these criteria for the APY rate offer. Account features as follows:
- 2.50% APY on balances up to $15,000 each cycle that you qualify
- 0.40% APY on balances over $15,000 depending on balance in account each cycle that you qualify
- 0.01% APY if qualifications aren’t met
- Free ATMs | Refunds on ATM fees, nationwide (up to $20 monthly)
- Can link to free Kasasa Saver to build savings automatically
- No monthly service charge
- Unlimited check writing
- Free online banking, bill pay, and transfers
- Free mobile banking including mobile deposits
- Free Debit/ATM card available with no annual fee
- Free Online Statements
This is a nice option if you typically carry a low balance in your Checking account. If you only withdraw a few times a month to stay under the $20 ATM refund allowance, it actually may suit you well.
While you can certainty view this as a nationally available, online-only Checking account due to Hanscom’s membership allowance, perhaps most consumers would be more comfortable going this route if they’re near one of the actual branch locations.
Personally, I like going with a big bank for a good sign-up bonus (e.g. Chase, TD Bank, HSBC, Simple Bank) and only keeping a Checking balance enough for everyday use, and leaving emergency funds in an online Savings account (e.g. CIT Bank, HSBC Direct). I’d then recommend putting extra funds towards a retirement account and investing, whether that be through a robo-advisor (e.g. Wealthfront, Personal Capital) or traditional brokerage.
Hanscom Federal CU’s High Yield Savings Offer: 2.00% APY
- Rate offer: 2.00 APY
- Available online, nationwide
- The minimum to open this account is $25,000 and earn the stated APY is $25,000.
- Rates are variable and may change after the account is opened.
- Fees may reduce earnings.
- Rate subject to change without notice.
- For this type of account, the dividend period is monthly, for example, the beginning date of the first dividend period of the calendar year is January 1, and the ending date of such dividend period is January 31.
- All Other dividend periods follow this same pattern of dates.
- The dividend declaration is the last day of the dividend period, and for the example above is January 31.
- If you close your account before dividends are paid, you will not receive the accrued dividend.
- Your funds at Hanscom FCU are federally insured up to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the federal government.
Check back here for updates on Hanscom offers.