Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC.
Chime® is a growing leader in the mobile banking sector. It’s a full-service FDIC insured banking account that offers both a Spending Account and a Savings Account. You manage your account via their highly rated app, available on iOS and Android devices.
- Update 10/6/2023: The $100 bonus offer is still available. Please use my referral link to sign-up (thanks ahead of time!).
In a world where financial institutions have long burdened customers with a litany of fees, Chime® emerges as a pioneering force in the realm of mobile banking. Unveiling a comprehensive and FDIC-insured banking solution, Chime redefines the banking experience by offering a dual-pronged approach: the Chime Spending Account and the Chime Savings Account, seamlessly accessible through a top-rated app compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
What sets Chime apart is its unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction. Bid farewell to the era of monthly fees, minimum balance requirements, overdraft penalties, and foreign transaction fees that have plagued traditional banking for years. Chime liberates you from these financial constraints, enabling you to fully enjoy your banking experience without fear of hidden charges.
Rather than making a profit from charging fees to members, Chime makes money from the Visa transaction fees paid by merchants.
Chime states the average household in the U.S. pays more than $329 in bank fees each year, with the big banks bringing in more than 6 billion dollars in just overdraft fees alone in 2017.
Chime Vs. Typical Traditional Bank Accounts
|Chime||Typical Fees Of Big Banks|
|Overdraft Fees||$0||$38 per overdraft|
|Minimum Balance Fees||$0||$6-$15 per policy violation|
|Monthly Maintenance Fees||$0||$12-$23 per month|
|ACH Transfer Fees||$0||$3-$10 per transfer|
|Account Closing Fees||$0||$25 per policy violation|
|Card Replacement Fees||$0||$5-$25 per replacement|
|ATM Fees||$0||$0-2.50 per transaction|
|Foreign Transaction Fees||$0||3% per transaction|
|Out of Network ATM Fees||Out of network ATM withdrawal and over the counter advance fees may|
apply. See here for details.
|$0-$2.50 per transaction|
*Note: Chime accounts have access to over 60,000 fee-free ATMs. To make sure the transaction you are making is surcharge-free, look for the Allpoint®, Visa® Plus Alliance, or MoneyPass® at 7-eleven logo on a sign at the ATM or displayed on the ATM screen.
Chime Top Features
- Spending Account: This is basically your Checking account, where you make deposits and manage all your expenses.
- Chime Visa Debit Card. Use your Chime card for bills and purchases everywhere Visa is accepted.
- Direct Debit. Pay bills electronically using the routing and your Chime account number.
- Fee-Free ATMs. 60K+ fee-free ATMs using any MoneyPass ATM located in a 7-eleven store or any Allpoint or Visa Plus Alliance ATM. Locate these ATMs using the Chime app or at chimecard.com/atms.
- Direct Deposit. You can fund your account with direct deposit and receive your paycheck up to 2 days early.
- Bank Transfer. Link your current bank account and move existing funds into your Chime account for free.
- Deposit Checks. You can deposit checks using a third-party app. They are working on Photo check deposit, which will be available soon.
- Deposit Cash. You can make cash deposits into your Chime account at any Green Dot location. Note: these locations may charge a fee for this service.
- Chime Checkbook. You won’t have physical checks to write and send off. Instead, Chime will send off a check in the mail for you.
- Pay Friends. You’re able to instantly send money to other Chime members, convenient for occasions such as when you split a dinner bill.
- Real-time Alerts & Notifications. Receive daily balance notifications and real-time transaction alerts to your smartphone.
- Block Card. If you lose or misplace your Chime debit card, you can block its usage via the Chime app or with your online account.
- Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay. Use your Chime account with any of these services to make mobile payments.
- High Yield Savings Account: Makes saving money easy with features you can opt in for.
- Above National Average APY – 2.00%* Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on your Chime High Yield Savings Account. One great rate with no monthly fees and no minimums.
- Automatic Savings. Every time you make a Chime card transaction, they will round up the amount and send it from your Spending to your Savings Account. You can also opt in to automatically have 10% of every paycheck transferred to your Savings Account.
- SpotMe®: This an optional service that allows you to spend more money than you have in your Chime Checking Account with no overdraft fees. With Chime SpotMe, you can overdraft on debit card purchases and cash withdrawals, up to a certain limit. This is a limit decided by the sole discretion of Chime based on your history with any Chime-branded accounts you have.
- Pay Anyone: This feature allows members to send money instantly to anyone whether they are a Chime member or not without any fees. Members can search for friends in their contact list by using their $Chimesign (username), phone number, or email.
- Mobile Check Deposit Eligible members can access Mobile Check Deposit to take a picture of your check and make a deposit. Unlock mobile check deposit by receiving a qualifying direct deposit but it isn’t the only way to get the feature. Chime will determine if you are eligible for the Mobile Check Deposit feature based on the history of any Chime-branded accounts you have and/or other risk-based factors.
- Security: Chime accounts are insured through The Bancorp Bank, N.A., member FDIC. Security features include the Visa Zero Liability Policy, bank-level security, encryption, two-factor authentication, instant transaction alerts, and temporary card blocking.
Chime Bonus: $100 Sign-Up Offer
Earn a $100 cash bonus (offer updates often depending on current promotion) when you use our referral link (thanks ahead of time!) to open a new Chime Spending Account and receive a payroll direct deposit of at least $200 within your first 45 days.
- In order for both the referred individual and the referring Chime member to each qualify for and receive the referral reward, the following conditions must be met: The referred individual must open a new Chime Spending Account (“Account”) using the referring Chime member’s unique referral link and the new Account must receive a qualified direct deposit of $200.00 or more within 45 days from when the new Account was opened.
- The qualified direct deposit must be made by the referred individual’s employer, payroll provider, or benefits payer by Automated Clearing House (ACH) deposit.
- Bank ACH transfers, Pay Friends transfers, verification or trial deposits from financial institutions, transfers, peer to peer transfers from services such as PayPal, Cash App, or Venmo, mobile check deposits, and cash loads or deposits are not qualified direct deposits.
- Referring Chime member must be part of the referral reward campaign in order for each party to be eligible for a reward.
- The reward is paid to each party within two (2) business days after qualifying funds are first deposited into the referred individual’s new Account.
- Members may earn no more than $1,000.00 in referral rewards per calendar year (January 1 – December 31).
- Referred individual acknowledges that payment of the reward will result in the member’s knowledge of the individual’s establishment of a new Account.
- Chime reserves the right to cancel or modify the terms of the referral reward offer or terminate the member’s eligibility at any time with or without prior notice.
- This offer is neither sponsored nor endorsed by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. and/or Stride Bank, N.A.
- Credits of $10 or more will be reported on tax form 1099-INT for new member Credits of $600 or more will be reported on tax form 1099-MISC for referring Chime member.
Chime $100 Per Referral
For every friend you successfully refer, Chime will give you and your referral bonus cash each. There’s no limit to how many people you can refer, but you can only earn $1,000 in referral bonuses a year. If you don’t already have an account, sign-up with our referral link from above.
How To Earn The Bonuses
- Log into your Chime account to get your unique referral link.
- Share your referral link to everyone you know.
- Earn a cash bonus when one of your referral:
- Registers for a new Chime Spending Account,
- Verifies their ID, and
- Receives a direct deposit of $200 or more within 45 days from opening their account.
- The referral bonus is paid to each party within 2 business days after qualifying funds are first deposited into your referral’s account.
- Chime reserves the right to cancel or modify the referral reward offer terms or terminate the member’s eligibility at any time with or without prior notice.
Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC. Credit Builder card issued by Stride Bank, N.A.
*The Annual Percentage Yield (“APY”) for the Chime Savings Account is variable and may change at any time. The disclosed APY is accurate as of November 17, 2022. No minimum balance required. Must have $0.01 in savings to earn interest.
My Impression of Chime
My experiences with Chime have left me with a feeling that melds both appreciation and cautious reservation.
I didn’t have to deal with monthly fees, no need to keep a minimum amount in the account, and I had a bunch of ATMs where I could get cash without paying extra. That was super handy. And, getting paychecks up to two days earlier than usual? While I haven’t needed it, but sure nice to know that is available. Also, when I traveled abroad, using my card was a breeze because Chime didn’t slap me with extra fees for buying stuff in other countries.
However, it wasn’t all smooth sailing. Depositing cash was a bit of a mixed bag. Yes, I could do it at lots of places, like Walmart, but depending on where I went, I might have to pay a fee, except at Duane Reade and Walgreens, where it was free. That needed a bit of juggling and remembering where to go.
Withdrawing cash had its own little hiccup – if I used an ATM that wasn’t in Chime’s network, a $2.50 fee tagged along. So, I had to be mindful and look for the right ATMs to keep those fees away.
When it came to handling checks, things got a tad tricky too. I could deposit checks through the app, but only after I had a direct deposit of at least one dollar. And forget about writing a check the old-school way – Chime doesn’t do physical checkbooks. I could use their online Checkbook feature, but it wasn’t quite the same.
So, while Chime made some things about handling money easier and cheaper, it also threw a few curveballs my way that I had to learn to manage. It was a bit of give and take, and depending on what you need from your bank, your mileage might vary!
See more from Chime: