- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Chime Banking Promotions
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PopularityEditor: 90%
- FeaturesEditor: 85%
Chime is a growing leader in the mobile banking sector. It’s a full-service FDIC insured bank account that offers both a Spending Account and a Savings Account. You manage your account via their highly rated app, available on iOS and Android devices.
With Chime, there are no monthly fees, no minimum balance fees, no overdraft fees and no foreign transaction fees. All these savings come at the sacrifice of physical, in-branch service available with traditional bank accounts.
Rather than making a profit from charging fees to members, Chime makes money from the Visa transaction fees paid by merchants.
Chime $50/$75 Sign-Up Bonus
Earn a $50/$75 cash bonus(offer updates often depending on current promotion) when you use a referral link to open a new Chime Spending Account and receive a payroll direct deposit of at least $200 within your first 45 days.
More referral links you can use:
- In order for both the referred individual and the referring Chime member to each qualify for and receive the referral reward, the following conditions must be met: The referred individual must open a new Chime Spending Account (“Account”) using the referring Chime member’s unique referral link and the new Account must receive a qualified direct deposit of $200.00 or more within 45 days from when the new Account was opened.
- The qualified direct deposit must be made by the referred individual’s employer, payroll provider, or benefits payer by Automated Clearing House (ACH) deposit.
- Bank ACH transfers, Pay Friends transfers, verification or trial deposits from financial institutions, transfers, peer to peer transfers from services such as PayPal, Cash App, or Venmo, mobile check deposits, and cash loads or deposits are not qualified direct deposits.
- Referring Chime member must be part of the referral reward campaign in order for each party to be eligible for a reward.
- The reward is paid to each party within two (2) business days after qualifying funds are first deposited into the referred individual’s new Account.
- Members may earn no more than $1,000.00 in referral rewards per calendar year (January 1 – December 31).
- Referred individual acknowledges that payment of the reward will result in the member’s knowledge of the individual’s establishment of a new Account.
- Chime reserves the right to cancel or modify the terms of the referral reward offer or terminate the member’s eligibility at any time with or without prior notice.
- This offer is neither sponsored nor endorsed by The Bancorp Bank and/or Stride Bank, N.A.
- Credits of $10 or more will be reported on tax form 1099-INT for new member Credits of $600 or more will be reported on tax form 1099-MISC for referring Chime member.
Chime $50/$75 Per Referral
For every friend you successfully refer, Chime will give you and your referral bonus cash each. There’s no limit to how many people you can refer, but you can only earn $1,000 in referral bonuses a year.
How To Earn The Bonuses
- Log into your Chime account to get your unique referral link.
- Share your referral link to everyone you know.
- Earn a cash bonus when one of your referral:
- Registers for a new Chime Spending Account,
- Verifies their ID, and
- Receives a direct deposit of $200 or more within 45 days from opening their account.
- The referral bonus is paid to each party within 2 business days after qualifying funds are first deposited into your referral’s account.
- Chime reserves the right to cancel or modify the referral reward offer terms or terminate the member’s eligibility at any time with or without prior notice.
No Banking Fees With Chime
Chime states the average household in the U.S. pays more than $329 in bank fees each year, with the big banks bringing in more than 6 billion dollars in just overdraft fees alone in 2017.
Chime Vs. Typical Traditional Bank Accounts
|Chime||Typical Fees Of Big Banks|
|Overdraft Fees||$0||$38 per overdraft|
|Minimum Balance Fees||$0||$6-$15 per policy violation|
|Monthly Maintenance Fees||$0||$12-$23 per month|
|ACH Transfer Fees||$0||$3-$10 per transfer|
|Account Closing Fees||$0||$25 per policy violation|
|Card Replacement Fees||$0||$5-$25 per replacement|
|ATM Fees||$0||$0-2.50 per transaction|
|Foreign Transaction Fees||$0||3% per transaction|
|Out of Network ATM Fees||$2.50 (per out of network transaction)||$0-$2.50 per transaction|
*Note: Chime accounts have access to over 30,000 fee-free ATMs in the MoneyPass network.
Chime Top Features
- Spending Account: This is basically your Checking account, where you make deposits and manage all your expenses.
- Chime Visa Debit Card – use your Chime card for bills and purchases everywhere Visa is accepted.
- Direct Debit – pay bills electronically using the routing and your Chime account number.
- Fee-Free ATMs – more than 30,000 fee-free ATMs at MoneyPass locations and over 30,000 cash back locations. Locate these ATMs using the Chime app or at chimecard.com/atms.
- Direct Deposit – you can fund your account with direct deposit and receive your paycheck up to 2 days early.
- Bank Transfer – link your current bank account and move existing funds into your Chime account for free.
- Deposit Checks – you can deposit checks using a third-party app. They are working on Photo check deposit, which will be available soon.
- Deposit Cash – you can make cash deposits into your Chime account at any Green Dot location. Note: these locations may charge a fee for this service.
- Chime Checkbook – you won’t have physical checks to write and send off. Instead, Chime will send off a check in the mail for you.
- Pay Friends – you’re able to instantly send money to other Chime members, convenient for occasions such as when you split a dinner bill.
- Real-time Alerts & Notifications – receive daily balance notifications and real-time transaction alerts to your smartphone.
- Block Card – if you lose or misplace your Chime debit card, you can block its usage via the Chime app or with your online account.
- Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay – use your Chime account with any of these services to make mobile payments.
- Savings Account: Makes saving money easy with features you can opt in for. *Unfortunately, the rates are so low they’re not even worth mentioning. If you’re looking to keep money in a Savings account to earn interest, compare Savings rates here.
- Automatic Savings – every time you make a Chime card transaction, they will round up the amount and send it from your Spending to your Savings Account. You can also opt in to automatically have 10% of every paycheck transferred to your Savings Account.
- Security: Chime accounts are insured through The Bancorp Bank, member FDIC. Security features include the Visa Zero Liability Policy, bank-level security, encryption, two-factor authentication, instant transaction alerts, and temporary card blocking.
|OFFER LINK||OFFER||OUR REVIEW|
|Chase Private Client||$2,000 Cash||Review|
|Chase Business Complete Banking℠||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase Savings℠||$150 Cash||Review|
|Bank of America Checking||$100 Offer||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience Checking℠||$150 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking||Up To $600||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking||Up To $240||Review|
|BBVA Checking & Savings||$250 Cash||Review|
|Axos Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Ally Invest||Up To $3,500||Review|