Western Union is the world’s #1 money transfer provider, as the largest and the longest-running company in the industry. The service lets you send and receive money at more than 500,000 agent locations in over 200 countries and territories around the world. You also have the option to send money digitally through Western Union’s website and mobile app.
You can fund the transfer with cash, a debit or credit card, or from your bank account. Recipients can receive money in cash at an agent location or in a bank account or mobile wallet, in 130 currencies.
Western Union Give $20, Get $20 Referral Offer
Refer up to 25 friends to Western Union and get rewarded a $20 Amazon.com e-gift code for every friend you refer. Plus, each friend you refer will get a $20 Amazon.com e-gift code for themselves. Simply, follow these 3 steps to start earning your rewards:
- Go to the Refer a Friend page, Log in or sign up, and then invite up to 25 friends by sharing your personal referral link.
- Ask your friends to register using the link you shared. Once they send $100 or more within 30 days of creating the profile using WU.com or the Western Union® app, you will both be rewarded with a $20 Amazon.com e-gift code.
- Enjoy a reward for you and each of the friends you refer. Remember, referring 25 friends means you can earn $500 total-just from referrals.
Here are some referral links you can use to sign up for the offer:
Western Union: In A Nutshell
|Transfer Limits||Depends on the receiving country|
|Sending Channels||Western Union website|
Western Union mobile app
Western Union agent location
|Payment Options||Bank account|
Visa, MasterCard and Discover cards
Cash at agent locations only
|Delivery Options||Bank & mobile wallet deposit|
Cash pickup at an agent location
Other options available in certain countries
|Transfer Speed||Minutes – 7 days|
Western Union: Fees & Rates
As with any international money transfer service, there are two things you should take note of: transfer fees and exchange rates.
These fees vary, depending on the amount sent, the send and receive countries, and the paying and receiving methods. Usually, the most expensive combination is paying with a credit or debit card and receiving the money in cash. Fees at an agent location are generally costlier than sending online. For example, here’s what you’d pay if you sent $1,000 to Mexico:
|Cash pickup at a Western Union location||$4 from a bank account|
$15 from a credit or debit card
|Deposit into a bank account||$14|
Like other international money transfer providers, Western Union makes part of its profit by charging an exchange rate that’s slightly higher than mid-market rate. As a general rule of thumb, the larger the transfer amount, the better the exchange rate. So, if you can bundle a few transfers into a single big one, you’ll most likely get a better deal.
Western Union: Transfer Speed
Your funds can be delivered anywhere from several minutes to a few business days. The speed of the transfer depends on the transfer and receiving methods. Cash pickups paid for by credit or debit card only take mere minutes, but it’s also the more expensive combination. In contrast, transfers from bank account to bank account, which is the cheapest method, takes about one to two business days to process, sometimes up to five days.
|Sending Method||Receiving Method||Average Speed|
|Cash in person||Cash pickup||Minutes|
|Credit or debit card online||Cash pickup||Minutes|
|Bank account online||Cash pickup||1 – 2 days|
|Credit or debit card online||Bank account deposit||1 – 2 days|
|Bank account online||Bank account deposit||1 – 2 days|
|Cash in person||Bank account deposit||1 – 2 days|
|Any method, online or in person||Mobile wallet deposit||Minutes|
Western Union: Step-By-Step
You have several ways to send your money via Western Union. For all methods, you’ll need the following:
- A Western Union account. It’s easy to set up, and it’s free.
- A valid payment method. That includes cash, bank account, and credit or debit card.
- Your recipient’s name and contact information.
- Your contact and payment information.
Once you’ve signed up with Western Union, you can initiate a transfer by phone, face-to-face with an agent or online.
Call the Western Union toll free number and provide the details of your transaction as well as your payment information.
Visit one of Western Union’s 70,000 locations in North America to transfer funds using cash or a debit card.
Head over to the Western Union website and click on “Send money.” Select the country you’re sending to, fill in the amount you’re sending, and indicate how your recipient will collect their funds, then click “Continue.” If you haven’t already, log into your Western Union account before initiating your transfer.
Western Union lets you send money globally that can be picked up as cash within minutes. Bank account transfers are also available for a cheaper fee, but the delivery will take more time. With such a broad agent network all over the world, you should be able to send your money close to where you want it to go.
Top/Trending Offers You May Like
- BMO Harris $200 & $350 Bonuses
- Chase Business Checking $300 Bonus
- Bank Of America $100 Bonus Offer
- Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus
- TD Beyond Checking $300 Bonus
- HSBC Premier Checking $500 Bonus
- Aspiration Checking $150/$200 Bonus
- J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing $625 Cash
- Ally Invest Up To $3,000 Bonus
- Axos $100/$200 Checking & Savings Bonuses
- TradeStation Cash & Crypto Offers