This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Referring people to open American Express cards is a great way to earn big bonuses. See how the AmEx “Refer a Friend” program works below.
Update 1/8/23: American Express is sending some cardholders an email about a change whereby the maximum amount of points one can earn for referring friends to an American Express card is 100,000 points instead of the prior 55,000 annual limit for most cards. YMMV
AmEx “Refer-A-Friend” Program
The “Refer a Friend” AmEx program allows you to invite friends, family and acquaintances to apply for American Express credit cards. Depending on the AmEx card you hold, you can earn up to the following for referrals:
- 55,000 Membership Rewards points, Delta Bonus Miles, or Marriott Bonvoy points per calendar year
- 80,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per calendar year
- $550 in statement credits per calendar year.
Referral bonus amounts can change from time to time. Cashback cards usually earn between $50 to $100 per referral. Point cards earn between 10,000 to 20,000 Membership Rewards points for every referral, but we’ve seen the bonuses get as high as 45,000 points. Most often, the best referral bonuses are offered on points-earning cards.
To start referring people, click here. Or, simply log into your AmEx account, scroll down to “LINKS YOU MAY LIKE,” and click on “Refer a Friend.” You’ll see your bonus amount as well as your friend’s bonus amount. If you have multiple American Express accounts, you can easily switch between card accounts by going to the top right corner and clicking on “Select one of your cards to refer.” From there, copy your unique referral link and share it as you wish.
AmEx allows you to refer people to AmEx cards you don’t have in your arsenal if you have one of the following:
- The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
- American Express Blue Business Cash
- Blue Cash Preferred from American Express
- Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
- American Express Cash Magnet Card
- Amex EveryDay Credit Card
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Card
- American Express Gold Card
- American Express Business Gold
- American Express Green Card
- Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
- The Platinum Card from American Express
- AmEx Business Platinum
- The Plum Card from American Express
To track your referrals, go to Rewards Summary. The dashboard lists your referrals and the total points you earned for the year.
The American Express “Refer a Friend” program is an excellent way to earn big bonuses from cards you already have, up to $550 or 55,000 Membership Rewards points per year.