Earn $300 or $500 when you open a new U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking account complete qualifying activities. Full details below!
U.S. Bank (usbank.com) has a few checking account options, including a standard account and one for customers who only use debit cards instead of checks. Keep in mind that availability of accounts varies by state.
- Update 11/10/2023: This $300/$500 offer is back through November 30, 2023.
- Update 10/15/2023: Offer has ended. See their $1,000 offer here.
- Update 6/27/2023: Offer has updated to a $300 bonus and is good through July 11, 2023.
- Update 6/15/2023: The up to $400 is ending soon on June 20.
- Update 5/3/2023: The new welcome offer is now for up to a $400 bonus and is valid through 6/20/2023.
- Update 4/12/2023: The welcome offer is now for up to a $300 bonus and valid through 5/2/2023.
- Update 3/1/2023: The offer is now up to $600 for the Smartly® Checking account. Details below.
- Update 2/8/2023: The maximum bonus amount has decreased from $600 to $300. Details below.
- Update 1/4/2023: The bonus has returned and is now up to $600 for a checking and savings account. Details below.
U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking is the standard account that’s a solid option for most customers. It costs $6.95 per month, but you can get that fee waived in a number of ways, such as by making monthly direct deposits of more than $1,000 or by keeping an average balance of at least $1,500 in your account.
As part of the MoneyPass® network, U.S. Bank gives its customers free access to more than 37,000 MoneyPass® Network ATMs across the country. But if you use an ATM outside of the network, the bank will charge you an extra $2.50 on top of whatever the ATM owner may charge.
How To Earn The Bonus
The U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking offer requires you to set up direct deposits in order to qualify for $300.
Here are the full requirements for the bonus:
- Open U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking account online with $25 deposit.
- Complete the following activities within 90 days:
- Enroll in U.S. Bank Mobile App or online banking.
- Achieve two or more direct deposits totaling $6,000 or more.
- Note: Apply for checking account from the offer page to automatically enter promo code. Otherwise, manually enter promo code “23WEB06” in your account application.
How to Avoid Monthly Maintenance Fees
Waive the $6.95 Monthly Maintenance Fee for Bank Smartly Checking® with one of the following:
- Are 24 and under, 65 and over or a member of the military (must self-disclose), OR
- Have combined monthly direct deposits totaling $1,000+, OR
- Keep average account balance of $1,500+, OR
- Hold an eligible U.S. Bank credit card, OR
- Qualify for one of the four Smart Rewards® tiers (Primary, Plus, Premium or Pinnacle)
Waive the $4 Monthly Maintenance Fee for Standard Savings with on the following:
- Maintain a $300 minimum daily balance
- Have a $1,000 average monthly collected balance
- Hold the account with an individual age 17 and under
- Have an opened Bank Smartly Checking® account and qualify for the Primary Smart Reward® tier, at a minimum.
READ MORE: GET ALL THE BEST U.S. BANK PROMOTIONS HERE
- A minimum deposit of $25 is required to open a U.S. Bank checking account.
- Offer is not valid if you or any signer on the account have an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account or had one in the last 24 months.
- Those who have received other U.S. Bank checking bonus offers within the past 24 months are also not eligible for this bonus.
- Account must be open and in good standing to earn the reward.
- Offer subject to certain terms and limitations.
- Applicant must reside in AZ, AR, CA, CO, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, SD, TN, UT, WA, WI, WY to be eligible for Checking account.
Account Features and Benefits
U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking includes:
- Mobile and online banking with free credit score access
- Mobile check deposit
- Bill pay
- Send money with Zelle®
- Email and text alerts
- U.S. Bank Visa® Debit Card
- No fee overdraft protection transfers from a linked deposit account, $50 overdrawn Available Balance safety threshold and Overdraft Fee Forgiven program
- Access to U.S. Bank Smart Rewards® to reap additional benefits
READ MORE: SEE THE $200 CHECKING BONUS FROM CHASE BANK
About U.S. Bank
If you’re looking for a new bank to handle your personal finances, U.S. Bank is worth consideration. They offer valuable benefits expected of a big bank, and new features for digital banking and customer service.
U.S. Bank has branches in over 25 states and is the fifth-largest commercial bank in the United States by assets. Owned by U.S. Bancorp, it’s a full-service bank based in Minneapolis, MN that offers checking accounts, savings accounts, money market accounts, certificates of deposit (CDs), loans, and other financial services. It also has online and mobile banking tools that are highly rated.
U.S. Bank is one of a number of large banks that have taken digital banking more seriously in recent years.
- Thousands of branches in over 25 states
- 24/7 live phone support
- Highly rated mobile app
- Great digital banking experience
- Better savings rates can be found elsewhere
Banking Experience with U.S. Bank
When it comes to access and reach, U.S. Bank really shines. Aside from having thousands of branches and ATMs, customer service is available by phone 24 hours a day and on social media for longer hours each day. Customers can also get help through an online chat from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday.
The bank’s iOS and Android apps let you deposit checks, move money between accounts, and send Zelle payments to other people. The apps receive great reviews.
It’s not a secret that big banks often offer low interest rates. U.S. Bank is no different.
But, U.S. Bank has great accessibility with its thousands of branches and ATMs. The U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking account is a great all-around option for most customers seeking a checking solution.
If you enjoy banking online, U.S. Bank is fantastic with digital technology and gives customers a digital-first experience. It gets high marks for its mobile app, which has digital tools and features that make it easier to manage your money and understand your financial situation.
Also, U.S. Bank has been praised for how it handled the pandemic, how it helped different communities, and how ethical it is as a whole.
If you want the benefits of a traditional bank with a large network of branches and ATMs as well as cutting-edge digital tools and features, U.S. Bank is a solid choice.
More from U.S. Bank:
- U.S. Bank Business Checking Account Up To $800 Bonus – Ends 1/8/24
- Best U.S. Bank Bonuses Of December 2023 ($400, $750, $1000 & More)
- U.S. Bank Business Altitude Connect World Elite Mastercard: New Card Launch Targeting Business Travelers
- U.S. Bank Launches New Business Credit Card: U.S. Bank Business Altitude Power World Elite Mastercard
- U.S. Bank $500 Business Checking & $600 Payment Solutions Offers – Ended
- U.S. Bank Promotion: $1,000 Checking & Savings Bonus – Ends 10/31/23
- U.S. Bank $400 Checking + $200 Savings Account Bonus [Targeted] – Ended
- U.S. Bank Brokerage Account Promotion: $100 Bonus – Ends 12/31/23
- U.S. Bank $500 Smartly Checking Account Bonus – Ended
- U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Card 50,000 Bonus Points
- U.S. Bank Payment Solution Merchant Services $500 Bonus Offer – Ended
- U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card 50,000 Bonus Points
- U.S. Bank Up To $1,000 Brokerage Account Bonus – Ended