This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US Bank markets its Student Checking as, “The smart, easy way to manage your money,” but does it make the grade? Read on for its smart and easy features, as well as our take on the US Bank Student Checking account.
*See the best Student Checking Accounts compared
Sign-up bonuses aren’t typically available for the Student Checking account from U.S. Bank. They do have promotions for their regular consumer Checking products but those are usually targeted via direct mail or email. Otherwise, public offers are typically just seasonal. See all current offers from US Bank here. Compare this account to the Chase College CheckingSM account if you’re looking or an option with great features and a sign-up bonus.
- Must be a student enrolled in high school, technical college, trade school or university.
- $25 opening deposit – can be funded with a credit or debit card, including a parent’s card.
- Parent co-owner, if you’re younger than 18.
About The US Bank Student Checking Account
No Monthly Maintenance Fee & No Minimum Balance
Ever! There is nothing you need to do to keep these features.
Wide Network + MoneyPass Network ATMs
Not only do you have access to over 3,000 branches and over 5,300 ATMs, transactions made within the network of 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs nationwide are free of charge.
First 4 Non-US Bank ATM Transactions Waived
Per monthly billing cycle. Please note, ATM operators usually charge a fee of their own – $2 or more per transaction.
Online Banking & Mobile App
Pretty much any banking transaction you might need to complete can be done with US Bank’s Online Banking and Mobile App – check your balance, pay back a friend, and deposit a check, all from your laptop or smartphone.
Money Tips for Students
US Bank offers plenty of tips for managing money, paying for college, building your credit and keeping your money safe. You can role play real-life scenarios and practice making important financial decisions, without having to live it out the hard way.
Free First Box of Checks
Writing checks might seem like a thing of the past, but you never know when there might come a time when you need to submit one. The first box is free, so why not?
Customer service is readily available 24/7 by phone, email and social media.
US Bank charges a hefty $36 per transaction for overdrafts of more than $5, up to four times a day, for both paid and returned items.
As with many other student checking accounts, the US Bank Student Checking does not yield any interest.
|Non-US Bank ATM (domestic)||$2.50||Per transaction. First 4 are per monthly billing cycle are waived.|
|Non-US Bank ATM (international)||$2.50||Per transaction, plus 3%.|
|Debit Card Foreign Transaction||2%/3%||USD/foreign currency|
|Overdraft (NSF)||$36||For paid or returned items over $5, max 4 items per day.|
|Extended Overdrawn Balance||$25||If your balance is in the red for 8 consecutive days, plus $25 weekly until your account is back in the black.|
|Debit Card Cash Advance||$2|
|Paper Statement||$2||Per monthly billing cycle. E-statements are free.|
|Replacement Card (Express)||$25||2-3 business days.|
A definite highlight for the US Bank Student Checking is convenience – convenient to access thousands of physical branches and ATMs, convenient to reach customer service, and convenient remote banking via its online banking and mobile app.
There’s no minimum balance, no monthly maintenance fee, fee-free non-US Bank ATM transactions for the first 4 transactions each billing cycle, and free money tips…all great perks for students.
But be careful, you have to watch out for those overdraft fees. They can add up quickly!
- Best Student Checking Account Offers of December 2022
- TD Bank Student Checking Review: Free Checking For Students Under 24
- Chase College Checking℠ Account Bonus: $100 Sign-Up Offer
- U.S. Bank Student Checking Review: No Fees, No Minimums
- Capital One 360 Money Account Review: Checking Account For Ages 13 To 17
- Santander Student Value Checking Review (Ages 14 – 25)
- BB&T Bank Student Checking Review (Students Age 23 & Younger)
- SunTrust Essential Checking For Students (High School, Technical School, College)
- KeyBank Student Checking Account Review (Students 16 To 24)
- PNC Bank Virtual Wallet Student: Unique Features At Your School
- Wells Fargo Teen Checking & Everyday Student Checking Review