- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- BB&T Student Checking
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- AvailabilityEditor: 80%
- Features & BenefitsEditor: 90%
- Customer ServiceEditor: 85%
- 1 Current Promotions?
- 2 The Requirements
- 3 The Good
- 4 The Fees
- 5 The Bad
- 6 The Impression
BB&T Bank wants to help you find financial independence by designing a personal checking account specifically for your student lifestyle. Find out more about BB&T Student Checking: the good, the bad and our impression.
*See the best Student Checking Accounts compared
There typically aren’t sign-up bonus offers for the BB&T Student Checking account. Their regular consumer Checking accounts will have offers a few months out of the year. See the current banking bonuses from BB&T here.
For a competitive student Checking option, the Chase College CheckingSM account has the same great features, more branch availability, and a nice sign-up bonus.
- For students up to age 23.
- No minimum opening deposit
No Monthly Maintenance Fee & No Minimum Balance Requirement
Ever! You just have to be under 24.
Option to Personalize Your Debit Card
Design your own debit card by using BB&T’s gallery of images or uploading your own photo.
Access to Over 3,100 BB&T ATMs
If you find yourself withdrawing from a non-BB&T ATM, don’t worry! With Student Banking, BB&T will waive two non-BB&T ATM transactions per monthly statement cycle.
Unlimited Automated Account Information 24/7
Via BB&T Phone24 at 800-BANK-BBT (800-226-5228).
Fee-Free Regular Savings Account
With BB&T Student Checking, the bank will waive your $5 monthly maintenance fee.
U by BB&T Money Management Tools
Featuring a customizable online and mobile banking experience to monitor both BB&T and non-BB&T accounts. You can deposit checks, pay your bills, set and track spending, manage receipts, and earn cash back with BB&T deals!
|Monthly Maintenance||$0||Until the age of 24.|
|Non-BB&T Bank ATM (domestic)||$2.50||Per transaction, plus operator fees.|
|Non-BB&T Bank ATM (international)||$5||Per transaction, plus 3% of transaction, plus operator fees.|
|Overdraft/NSF||$36||Per paid or returned item, max 6 items per business day.|
|Negative Account Balance||$8||Per day, after 7 consecutive overdrawn days.|
|Overdraft Protection Transfer||$12.50||Per transfer, limit of one fee per linked account per day. For transfers under $5, no fee will be charged.|
|Paper Statement||$3||Per monthly billing cycle.|
BB&T has branch and ATM locations primarily on the East Coast, covering 15 states and the District of Columbia.
BB&T does not mess around when it comes to overdraft fees. With $36 per paid or returned item and a maximum of 6 items per business day, you could be throwing away as much as $216 in overdraft charges on an extremely bad day.
No Yield on Deposits
Unfortunately, BB&T Student Checking does not bear any interest. However, it’s free to open a BB&T Regular Savings Account, which will yield some interest.
If you’re a student who’s younger than 24, you can open a BB&T Student Account, even if you only have a penny to your name. BB&T makes it easy for students with no monthly maintenance fee, no minimum balance required, 24/7 automated account information service, and U by BB&T money management tools. You can even put any picture you want on your debit card!
However, If you live in the Midwest or West, the BB&T Student Checking won’t be an option for you, as branches are primarily on the East Coast. Overdraft fees on this account can also be pretty steep…like that last bit of Half Dome hike steep.
- SunTrust Essential Checking For Students (High School, Technical School, College)
- KeyBank Student Checking Account Review (Students 16 To 24)
- BB&T Bank Student Checking Review (Students Age 23 & Younger)
- PNC Bank Virtual Wallet Student: Unique Features At Your School
- Wells Fargo Teen Checking & Everyday Student Checking Review
- TD Bank Student Checking Review: Free Checking For Students Under 24
- Capital One 360 Money Account Review: Checking Account For Ages 13 To 17
- Bank Of America Core Checking Account For Students Under 24
- US Bank Student Checking Review: No Fees, No Minimums
- 11 Best Student Checking Accounts For September 2018
- Chase Student Checking Promotions: $100 Chase College Checking℠ Bonus
- Chase College Checking℠ Review: Is This Student Account For You?
- Santander Student Value Checking Review (Ages 16 – 25)