- Editor Rating
- Rated 3.5 stars
- Very Good
- Santander Student Value Checking
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
The Santander Student Value Checking account has no monthly fee and no minimum balance, but there’s much more to this account than meets the eye. Check out what’s good, what’s bad, and our impressions below.
*See the best Student Checking Accounts compared
Current Sign-Up Promotions?
There aren’t any cash sign-up bonuses for the Santander Student Value Checking currently, but this account does qualify for Santander’s referral program that doesn’t have a set expiration date. You can read about the referral bonuses program and other Personal and Business Checking offers at this Santander Bank promotions page.
As an alternative, another great college student Checking account with a sign-up bonus is the Chase College CheckingSM (read about it’s features and bonus offer here).
Santander Value Checking Requirements
To opt in, you’ll have to be between 16 to 25 years old (with a legal guardian as co-owner for those under 18). Proof of enrollment in a college, university or other undergraduate-level school is required.
No Monthly Fee
Ever! There’s nothing you have to do!
No Minimum Balance
The minimum opening deposit is a mere $10, and there’s no minimum balance after that.
Make deposits, send transfers, and set customizable alerts at your convenience from your phone or laptop.
Santander’s debit and credit card are compatible with Apple Pay, a simple and secure way to make purchases and send or receive money.
Savings Account Benefit
Few ATM & Branch Locations
There are a limited number of Santander ATM & branch locations in the United States compared to big banks like Chase and Wells Fargo. You’ll find over 600 branches across Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island.
No Yield on Deposits
As with many student checking accounts, don’t expect to earn interest on your deposits.
|Domestic non-Santander ATM||$2||Includes ATMs in Puerto Rico as well.|
|International ATM||$6||Waived at Santander ATMs in Mexico|
|Paper Statements||$3||Per statement.|
|International Debit Card Transaction||4%||For international cash withdrawal or purchase using your debit card.|
|International ATM Card Transaction||3%||For international cash withdrawal using your ATM card.|
|Replacement Card – Expedited||$30|
|Insufficient Funds||$35||Per item returned on item paid (max 6 items per business day).|
|Sustained Overdraft||$35||Applies to accounts in the red for 5 consecutive days.|
While the Santander Student Value Checking offers a handful of no-fee, no minimum goodies, what it lacks is a robust physical presence in terms of ATMs and branches. However, in this tech age with mobile banking and Apple Pay at your fingertips, there’s little need to have cold hard cash in your hands.
What’s more, Santander Student Value Checking has the unique feature of fee-free incoming international transfers. It’s the perfect account for international students studying in Santander’s service area and regularly receiving money from mom and pops back home.
- Chase Student Checking Promotions: $100 Chase College Checking℠ Bonus
- 11 Best Student Checking Accounts For August 2018
- Santander Student Value Checking Review (Ages 16 – 25)
- KeyBank Student Checking Account Review (Students 16 To 24)
- Bank Of America Core Checking Account For Students Under 24
- PNC Bank Virtual Wallet Student: Unique Features At Your School
- US Bank Student Checking Review: No Fees, No Minimums
- Capital One 360 Money Account Review: Checking Account For Ages 13 To 17
- Chase College Checking℠ Review: Is This Student Account For You?
- TD Bank Student Checking Review: Free Checking For Students Under 24
- BB&T Bank Student Checking Review (Students Age 23 & Younger)
- SunTrust Essential Checking For Students (High School, Technical School, College)
- Wells Fargo Teen Checking & Everyday Student Checking Review