- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Chase College Checking℠ Review
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- AvailabilityEditor: 95%
- FeaturesEditor: 100%
- Customer ServiceEditor: 95%
- 1 Current Chase College CheckingSM Promotions?
- 2 The Features
- 3 The Fees
- 4 The Good
- 5 The Bad
- 6 Bottom Line
The Chase College CheckingSM account is designed for undergraduate students who are money conscious, have simple financial needs, and prefer to do their banking online. With its ease of use, you can turn your attention to more important matters, like acing a final, claiming an Employee of the Month bonus, and looking good for a hot Tinder date.
Interested? Here’s all you need to know about this account’s features, the good, the bad, and our overall impression.
*See the best Student Checking Accounts compared
Current Chase College CheckingSM Promotions?
First thing’s first. You can open a Chase College Checking℠ account if you’re between the ages of 17 and 24, and if you provide proof of your college student status.
If one of the above does not apply to you, then move along. This account is not for you.
Minimum Deposit Requirements
You have to be the proud owner of $25 and deposit said amount into your brand spankin’ new bank account. Sorry, $24.99 is not gonna cut it.
You’re free to spend or save as much as you want. There are no transaction limits or other restrictions on your account (as long as your balance remains positive and you abide by the terms and restrictions, of course).
This billpay feature is built into Chase’s mobile app (mentioned above), so you can pay bills once, or on a recurring basis, at any time, from anywhere.
Chase QuickPay with Zelle
This free P2P payment service is Chase’s answer to Venmo and Square Cash. Pay friends and people you know without having to write a check or making a trip to the ATM. It’s great for when you owe cash to someone who paid for a taxi ride or concert tickets.
Mobile Check Deposit
Chase makes it easy with its state-of-the art mobile app. All you have to do is take a photo of the front and back of the endorsed check and follow the user-friendly prompts to deposit it without hitting up an ATM or walking into a branch.
Use simple text commands 24/7 to complete a variety of banking tasks, like balancing checks.
If you have any questions, it’s easy to reach Chase. You can hit them up online, or via phone, 24/7.
- The Monthly Maintenance Fee of $6 is waived:
- for up to 5 years until you graduate.
- when your account receives a direct deposit at least once in a monthly billing cycle
- if you maintain a $5,000 ending day balance in your account
- There is a $2.50 fee per withdrawal for non-Chase ATM withdrawals in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The fee is doubled per withdrawal outside the U.S. and major territories.
- For NSF (Non-Sufficient Funds) transactions that put you in the red of $5 or more, the fee is $34 per item, with a daily limit of three items. If your account is overdrawn for more than five days in a row, then Chase will smack you with a $15 per day extended overdraft fee (even if it’s under the $5 negative balance threshold). Ouch! For these NSF transactions to go through, you have to sign up with Chase Debit Card Coverage.
- If you lose your card, there’s a replacement fee of $5.
- If transactions are not in U.S. dollar, you can be charged with a 3% currency adjustment fee. This fee might go on top of any other international ATM fees and surcharges levied by Chase, local banks, and ATM operators.
Low Minimum Deposit Required
- To open, you just need $25!
- After your account is open, you’re welcome to spend some of that deposit.
Easy-to-Waive Monthly Maintenance Fee (see above)
Easy-to-Use & Convenient Chase Mobile App & Quickpay with Zelle, featuring…
- Check deposit
- Online billpay
- P2P transactions
Also Easy-to-Use & Convenient Text Banking
- Ability to balance checks, transfer funds, etc.
- No need to log onto a public WiFi or LTE or getting yourself to an ATM or branch.
No Fee to Access 16,000 Chase ATMs & 5,100 Chase Branches
Checks are Not Free
Instead, pay what you have to online via the Chase Mobile App or Chase QuickPay with Zelle.
International ATM Fee
Planning on studying abroad? Or traveling on a cultural exchange program? With the Chase College Checking℠ account, you’ll be stuck with a $5 fee for each withdrawal from a non-Chase ATM internationally. This does not include ATM operators’ fees.
No Yield on Deposits
Unfortunately, the Chase College Checking℠ is a non-interest bearing account. If you’re looking to make a bit of money while saving money, we suggest you look elsewhere.
The Chase College Checking℠ account is a great first step to a fiscally responsible path. It’s a low-cost, low-hassle checking account option for US college students who enjoy the convenience of remote banking. If you’re not going abroad and you’re not looking to make interest on your deposit, then the Chase College Checking℠ is a great choice.
- Chase Student Checking Promotions: $100 Chase College Checking℠ Bonus
- 11 Best Student Checking Accounts For August 2018
- Santander Student Value Checking Review (Ages 16 – 25)
- KeyBank Student Checking Account Review (Students 16 To 24)
- Bank Of America Core Checking Account For Students Under 24
- PNC Bank Virtual Wallet Student: Unique Features At Your School
- US Bank Student Checking Review: No Fees, No Minimums
- Capital One 360 Money Account Review: Checking Account For Ages 13 To 17
- Chase College Checking℠ Review: Is This Student Account For You?
- TD Bank Student Checking Review: Free Checking For Students Under 24
- BB&T Bank Student Checking Review (Students Age 23 & Younger)
- SunTrust Essential Checking For Students (High School, Technical School, College)
- Wells Fargo Teen Checking & Everyday Student Checking Review