Earn a $100 bonus when you open a new Chase College Checking℠ account and complete 10 qualifying transactions within 60 days of coupon enrollment. See the full details below!
- Update 8/22/2023: The welcome offer has been extended through 10/18/2023. Full details below.
- Update 4/6/2023: The offer is extended until 7/19/2023. More details below.
- Update 1/13/2023: The $100 offer has been extended until 4/19/2023. See the full details below.
The Chase College Checking℠ account is designed for undergraduate students who are money conscious, have simple financial needs, and prefer to do their banking online.
Get the full details on this account, along with the current welcome offer below.
How To Earn The Bonus
- Enjoy $100 as a new Chase checking customer when you open a Chase College Checking℠ account and complete 10 qualifying transactions within 60 days of coupon enrollment.
- No Monthly Service Fee for up to 5 years if you’re a student between the ages of 17-24 at account opening with proof of student status.
- Students ages 18-24 with a Social Security Number can open an account online or at a Chase branch. Students with no Social Security number or who are 17-year-olds can only open an account at a branch.
- Keep track of your money in the Chase Mobile® app. The app helps you manage your money.
- Zelle® is available in more than 1,000 banking apps in the U.S. So you can send and receive money from almost anyone you know and trust who has a bank account in the U.S.
- Access to more than 15,000 Chase ATMs and more than 4,700 branches.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC
- Chase Overdraft Assist℠ – no overdraft fee if you’re overdrawn by $50 or less at the end of the business day or if you’re overdrawn by more than $50 and bring your account balance to overdrawn by $50 or less at the end of the next business day*
*With Chase Overdraft AssistSM, we won’t charge an Overdraft Fee if you’re overdrawn by $50 or less at the end of the business day OR if you’re overdrawn by more than $50 and you bring your account balance to overdrawn by $50 or less at the end of the next business day (you have until 11 PM ET (8 PM PT) to make a deposit or transfer). Chase Overdraft Assist does not require enrollment and comes with eligible Chase checking accounts.
- Offer not available to existing Chase checking customers, those whose accounts have been closed within 90 days or closed with a negative balance within the last 3 years.
- You can receive only one new checking account opening related bonus every two years from the last coupon enrollment date and only one bonus per account.
- Coupon is good for one-time use.
- To receive this bonus, the enrolled account must not be closed or restricted at the time of payout.
- Eligibility may be limited based on account ownership.
- Qualifying transactions include: debit card purchases, online bill payments, Chase QuickDeposit℠, Zelle®, or ACH credits.
- Bonus is considered interest and will be reported on IRS Form 1099-INT (or Form 1042-S, if applicable).
Direct deposit isn’t a requirement for the above bonus offer. See other offers that don’t require direct deposit here.
Chase College Checking℠ Features
- Eligibility. First thing’s first. You can open a Chase College Checking℠ account if you’re between the ages of 17 and 24, and if you provide proof of your college student status.
- If one of the above does not apply to you, then move along. This account is not for you.
- Minimum Deposit Requirements. There is no minimum deposit requirement.
- Transaction Limits. You’re free to spend or save as much as you want. There are no transaction limits or other restrictions on your account (as long as your balance remains positive and you abide by the terms and restrictions, of course).
- Online Billpay. This billpay feature is built into Chase’s mobile app (mentioned above), so you can pay bills once, or on a recurring basis, at any time, from anywhere.
- Chase QuickPay with Zelle. This free P2P payment service is Chase’s answer to Venmo and Square Cash. Pay friends and people you know without having to write a check or making a trip to the ATM. It’s great for when you owe cash to someone who paid for a taxi ride or concert tickets.
- Mobile Check Deposit. Chase makes it easy with its state-of-the art mobile app. All you have to do is take a photo of the front and back of the endorsed check and follow the user-friendly prompts to deposit it without hitting up an ATM or walking into a branch.
- Text Banking. Use simple text commands 24/7 to complete a variety of banking tasks, like balancing checks.
- Customer Support. If you have any questions, it’s easy to reach Chase. You can hit them up online, or via phone, 24/7.
Chase College Checking℠ Pros & Cons
- No Minimum Deposit Required
- Easy-to-Waive Monthly Maintenance Fee (see above)
- Easy-to-Use & Convenient Chase Mobile App & Quickpay with Zelle, featuring…
- Check deposit
- Online billpay
- P2P transactions
- Also Easy-to-Use & Convenient Text Banking
- Ability to balance checks, transfer funds, etc.
- No need to log onto a public WiFi or LTE or getting yourself to an ATM or branch.
- Checks are Not Free: Instead, pay what you have to online via the Chase Mobile App or Chase QuickPay with Zelle.
- No Yield on Deposits: Unfortunately, the Chase College Checking℠ is a non-interest bearing account. If you’re looking to make a bit of money while saving money, we suggest you look elsewhere.
- The Monthly Maintenance Fee of $6 is waived with one of the following:
- for up to 5 years until you graduate.
- have an electronic deposit made into this account, such as a payment from payroll providers or government benefit providers, by using (i) the ACH network, (ii) the Real Time Payment network, or (iii) third party services that facilitate payment to your debit card using Visa or Mastercard network; OR,
- if you maintain a $5,000 ending day balance in your account
- Non-Chase ATM Fee: $3.00 for inquiries, transfers or withdrawals while using a non-Chase ATM in the US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. Fees from the ATM owner/network still apply. $5 per withdrawal and $3.00 for any transfers or inquiries at ATMs outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Fees from the ATM owner/network still apply.
- NSF (Non-Sufficient Funds) fee is $34.
- If you lose your card, there’s a replacement fee of $5.
- If transactions are not in U.S. dollar, you can be charged with a 3% currency adjustment fee. This fee might go on top of any other international ATM fees and surcharges levied by Chase, local banks, and ATM operators.
The Chase College Checking℠ account is a great first step to a financially responsible path. It’s a low-cost, low-hassle checking account option for US college students who enjoy the convenience of remote banking.
If you’re not going abroad and you’re not looking to make interest on your deposit, then the Chase College Checking℠ is a great choice.
More from Chase:
- Chase Business Complete Checking® $300 Sign-Up Bonus [Nationwide] – Ends 10/19/2023
- Best Chase Bank Promotions September 2023 ($200, $500, $3000 & More)
- Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus Offer [Nationwide] – Ends 10/18/2023
- Chase Private Client Up To $3,000 Bonus – Ends 10/18/23
- Chase Secure Banking℠ Account $100 Bonus – Ends 10/18/2023
- J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing Up To $700 Bonus – Ends 10/12/23
- Chase Bank Checking Referral $50/$200 Bonuses (Up To $500/$1000 Yearly)
- Chase $900 Checking & Savings Bonus [Targeted]
- Chase Sapphire℠ Checking Account Cash Bonus Offer – Ended
- Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ Promo: $300 Cash Bonus (Available Nationwide) – Ended