Alitalia is the national airline of Italy, serving more than 100 destinations in over 50 countries. In the United States, the carrier flies to Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and New York.
See our best credit card bonuses here.
Millemiglia is Alitalia’s frequent flyer program with easy-to-earn miles through rewards program partners and great deals on flight awards with partner airlines. For everything you need to know about Alitalia Millemiglia, keep reading.
|Redemption Options||Alitalia and partner flights, upgrades, coupons & vouchers, donations|
|Average Point Value||$0.0041|
Millemiglia Elite Status
Similar to other frequent flyer programs, Millemiglia elite status has tiers, which they refer to as Exclusive Clubs – Ulisse, Freccia Alata and Freccia Alata Plus. To move up in clubs, you need to earn a certain number of qualifying miles or qualifying flights in one calendar year:
|ULISSE||FRECCIA ALATA||FRECCIA ALATA PLUS|
|20K qualifying miles||50K qualifying miles||80K qualifying miles|
|30 qualifying flights||60 qualifying flights||90 qualifying flights|
Club members enjoy the following benefits:
|Status||ULISSE||FRECCIA ALATA||FRECCIA ALATA|
|Priority check-in, boarding & wait-listing||X||X||X|
|Priority security lanes||X||X|
|Access to Alitalia Lounges||Paid||X||X|
|Free extra baggage & sports equipment||X||X||X|
|Free one-way upgrades*||2||4||4|
|Free Comfort seats||X||X|
|Upgrade onboard with miles**||X||X|
|Gift Freccia Alata Club status||1|
|Dedicated member services phone number||X||X|
*On medium-haul international flights.
**Valid until June 30, 2021.
Those who hold Freccia Alata Plus status for at least 10 consecutive years get the Freccia Alata Plus Per Sempre Card with unlimited membership to Freccia Alata Plus, as well as:
- 4 additional upgrades to superior classes.
- 2 guaranteed bookings for award tickets in one year.
- Wait listing for Millemiglia award tickets 60 days prior to the date of departure.
Earning Millemiglia Miles
Like many frequent flyer programs, the miles you earn by flying on Alitalia will depend on distance flown and booking class. You can also credit flights from partner airlines to your Millemiglia account, including:
You can also collect miles when you travel or shop with Millemiglia partners.
- Hotels, including Accor, Best Western, Hilton, IHG, Marriott and more.
- Booking sites, like Booking.com and Rocketmiles.
- Rental cars from Avis, Budget and more.
- Taxi, transfer and parking services.
- Insurance companies, such as Chubb.
- Shopping at Hugo Boss, Interflora and more.
- Supermarkets like Coop.
- Culture and entertainment.
If you need to top off for an award, purchasing Millemiglia miles is also an option. Buy up to 70,000 miles per year, in multiples of 2,000 miles, for EUR 50 every 2,000 miles. Discounts are applied for miles purchases of 8,000 or more.
Earning Millemiglia Miles with American Express Membership Rewards®
One of the easiest ways to earn Millemiglia miles is by transferring your Amex Membership Rewards points at a 1:1 ratio. Credit cards that earn Amex Membership Rewards include:
|Personal Cards||The Platinum Card® from American Express|
American Express® Gold Card
American Express® Green Card
|Business Cards||The Business Platinum Card® from American Express|
American Express® Business Gold Card
Other transfer partners include:
|REWARDS PROGRAM||TRANSFER RATIO|
|Best Western Rewards||5:1.6|
|Capital One Rewards||2:1.5|
|IHG Rewards Club||5:1|
*With a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred.
Redeeming Millemiglia Miles
Millemiglia miles expire after 24 months of inactivity. To keep your account active, make sure to earn or burn miles at least every two years.
Alitalia offers four types of award tickets: Standard, Elite Award, Flex and Superflex. Standard tickets begin at 20,000 miles roundtrip within Europe. Elite Award tickets are only available to those with status. Flex awards are only available in economy and come with additional baggage allowance and free changes. Superflex awards are for upper classes and must be booked via phone.
Partner awards are also available, for SkyTeam and non-SkyTeam partners. If you’re low on miles, opt for a Cash & Miles award starting at 5,000 miles for up to 25% off the purchase price.
Other notable award flight perks include:
- Open jaws are permitted within the same region
- One stopover permitted on partner awards
- Lots of award availability, even in upper classes
- Award itinerary holds available
- Free date and time changes on all awards
- Round-the-world awards available
Please note that you do have to book partner awards over the phone.
Redeem your Millemiglia miles for upgrades on Alitalia flights. The amount of miles required depends on the fare class of your paid ticket, but can be as low as 12,500 miles for an upgrade to Premium Economy from the U.S. to Italy.
You can also use your Millemiglia miles for coupons and vouchers, as well as charitable donations.
Millemiglia Tips & Tricks
Before you look for flight awards, keep the following in mind:
- Fuel surcharges on both Alitalia and partner award flights.
- One-way awards cost 60% of a round-trip ticket.
- No one-way awards on partner airlines.
- Only 2 connections allowed per award.
- No stopovers permitted on Alitalia awards.
- 5,000 mile or EUR 55 fee for changes made by phone or to the carriers.
- Partner awards on Korean Air, China Airlines and China Southern have a lot of blackout dates.
To Italy. Awards from North America to any destination in Italy are just 30,000 miles each way in economy. Yes, that includes itineraries from Los Angeles. If you’re already in Europe, consider taking a side trip to Italy in business class from just 20,000 miles each way.
Within Italy. Domestic awards start at 10,000 miles each way in economy, and business class is 15,000 miles.
To Hawaii. Awards from North America to Hawaii are only 40,000 miles, round-trip. Plus, there are no fuel surcharges.
The Alitalia Millemiglia program might not be the most rewarding SkyTeam member out there when it comes to flight awards, but there are some sweet spots that will give you great value. Plus, you can transfer points from popular loyalty programs like American Express Membership Rewards®, Capital One® Rewards and Marriott Bonvoy.
Top Pages You May Like
Top/Trending Offers You May Like
- Bank Of America $100 Bonus Offer
- Chase Total Checking® $200 Bonus
- BMO Harris Up to $500 Bonus
- TD Beyond Checking $300 Bonus
- HSBC Premier Checking $500 Bonus
- J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing $625 Cash
- Ally Invest Up To $3,000 Bonus
- Axos $150/$200 Bonuses
- Chase College Checking℠ $100 Bonus
- TradeStation Cash & Crypto Offers
- Choice Rewards World Mastercard® Bonus