South African Airways is the flag carrier airline of South Africa, linking over 40 local and international destinations across Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America and Oceania, from its hub in Johannesburg.
See our best credit card bonuses here.
The Voyager frequent flyer program offers those who fly with SAA and their partners a variety of ways to earn reward miles, along with plenty of ways to use them. Keep reading for everything you need to know about SAA Voyager.
|Cobranded Credit Cards
|None for U.S. residents
|Flights, upgrades, rental cars, merchandise, vouchers, flight simulation, donations
Voyager Elite Status
When you join Voyager, you’ll automatically become a Blue member after any three Base Miles transactions. Move up status tiers when you collect enough Tier Miles – by flying with SAA and Star Alliance – within a calendar year.
|TIER MILES REQUIRED
Once you unlock a tier, you’ll have that status for the remainder of the year until the end of the following year. Status benefits include:
|Threshold bonus miles on achieving or retaining status
|2,000 bonus miles for every 15,000 Tier Miles flown on SAA
|Status bonus miles on SAA flights
|Free Economy Class preferential seating / first 2 seat rows on SAA flights
|Priority baggage handling
|Priority airport standby
|Free baggage allowance
|SAA lounge access
|Arrivals lounge access at London Heathrow Airport
|Access to SAA contracted lounges
|Change fee waived for upgrade awards
|Chauffeur transfer services on qualifying flights
Earning Voyager Miles
Earn Voyager Miles for:
- Flying on SAA and SAA codeshare, Star Alliance and non-Star partner flights.
- Staying at participating Best Western, Hilton, Shangri-La and Intercontinental hotels.
- Booking cruises with Cruise International.
- Renting cars from Avis or Europcar.
Partner airlines include:
You’ll also earn miles for:
- Filling up at Total SA.
- Loading money on a World Currency Card by Bidvest Bank.
- Purchasing from Voyager Wine Club.
- Relaxing at a spa from the Health Spas guide.
Earning Voyager Miles With Transfer Partners
Perhaps the easiest way for Americans to earn Voyager Miles is to convert Marriott Bonvoy points at a 3 to 1 ratio (with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred) or Radisson Rewards points at a 10 to 1 ratio.
|COBRANDED CREDIT CARDS
|Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
|Radisson Rewards Visa
Radisson Rewards Premier Visa Signature
Read below for more information on some of the credit cards mentioned above.
Redeeming Voyager Miles
Please note, redemptions have been paused until further notice.
Spend your Voyager Miles on:
- Flights with SAA and more than 35 airline partners, including Star Alliance carriers.
- Upgrades on SAA flights.
- Rental cars with Europcar.
- Merchandise with FlySAA Duty Free.
- Merchandise with Wine-of-the-Month.
- Vouchers with Uber, Cruises International, and Health Spas guide.
- Flight simulation with SAA Flight Simulator.
- Charitable donations.
Voyager Miles expire 36 months from the date they were earned. One year is calculated from April 1 to March 31. Keep your account active with any earn or burn activity at least every three years.
Voyager Tips & Tricks
- Best value awards are partner airline flights between the United States and South America. Economy seats are 50,000 miles roundtrip, and business class is a steal at 75,000 miles.
- We also recommend roundtrip intra-North and South Asia flights with 32,200 miles in business or 47,900 in first class.
- Stay away from upgrade awards, which are only available by sector, to the next highest level of service and are subject to high taxes, surcharges and fees.
A Star Alliance member, South African Airways Voyager lets you earn and burn miles with any partner airline. Plus, the program offers relatively high earning potential with point transfers from Marriott Bonvoy and Radisson Rewards.