I like to shop online because of the wide selection, the convenience and the savings. Pricing for most products is cheaper online than in-store, and that’s before taking into account cashback shopping programs and rewards. But how do I make sure I’m getting the best deal online?
- Update 12/25/2023: It looks like the offer ended.
- Update 12/9/2023: The offer increased to $100 now! Sign up here to get $100 for signing up.
- Update 9/5/2023: Offer increased from $20 to $30.
I could spend hours comparison shopping, checking every nook and cranny of the internet for the lowest price on a particular item. Or, I can use a shopping assistant like Capital One Shopping (formerly Wikibuy) that does it for you.
The extension and app will also find coupon codes and reward you for shopping with participating local merchants. For everything you need to know about Capital One Shopping, keep reading.
Please note, you don’t need a Capital One credit card to use this service. It’s open to everyone.
Capital One Shopping Give $100, Get $100 Referrals
With their referral program, you can give $100 and get $100 for every referral. Help your friends and family save and reward yourself at the same time.
Here’s how it works:
- Invite your friends to sign up with your unique referral link
- They join, install the desktop or mobile browser extension and spend $10
- You each get $30 in Shopping Rewards, up to $300
- Referral sign up bonus requirements:
- Refer-ee must be a new Capital One Shopping user.
- Refer-ee must sign up and install the Capital One Shopping desktop computer or mobile browser extension via your referral link.
- Refer-ee must make Qualifying Purchase(s) totaling $10 within 30 days of signing up.
- Qualifying Purchase:
- A purchase via Capital One Shopping that earns Capital One Shopping Rewards.
- Participation in the referral program implies that you are a Capital One Shopping customer.
- Bonuses will be automatically applied to your account and your refer-ee’s account within 30 days after meeting the requirements.
- Issuance of bonuses may be delayed during the determination of whether a Qualifying Purchase has been made by a new user.
- There is a limit to the number of referrals per referral period for which you can earn bonuses.
- Bonuses will be awarded as Capital One Shopping Rewards and are subject to the Capital One Shopping Terms of Service.
- The offer is subject to alteration, change, or termination without notice.
- Additional terms apply; refer to the Capital One Shopping Terms of Service for more details.
Capital One Shopping Features
Capital One Shopping is a free browser extension that acts as an online shopping price comparison tool. It’ll tell you whether the item you are viewing is available elsewhere for less. The extension will also search the internet for coupon and promo codes and automatically tests them for validity. The site has a few other distinct features, including:
Price drop notification. Capital One Shopping will track the things you search for and purchase online. If the price of the product drops, the extension will let you know so you can take advantage of the deal. Already purchased the item? Some credit cards and retailers offer price protection, which means they’ll reimburse you for the amount you overpaid.
Reward credits. Link your credit cards to Capital One Shopping to access Local Offers. The company partners with local merchants to give users rewards when you shop. For example, 5% back in Capital One Shopping Credits at a partner eatery. All you have to do is activate the offer and pay for the meal with your linked card. Use your rewards to buy gift cards to popular merchants, like Barnes & Noble, eBay, Groupon, Sephora and Staples.
Universal search. You can search directly on the Capital One Shopping website if you want to do comparison shopping for a particular item. It’ll search its database to locate a possible discount and direct you to the purchase page. Use this feature when you’re shopping in-store by downloading the Capital One Shopping app to your phone and scanning the product barcode.
Synchronization. Capital One Shopping syncs your data between the web browser and the phone app, so you can easily search for products, view your search history and add items to your watchlist from both.
Capital One Shopping Pricing
Capital One Shopping is free to use. There is no cost to install the extension and app, and no monthly fees or additional charges.
Capital One Shopping Limitations
Before you download the Capital One Shopping extension, keep the following in mind:
It may not find the lowest price available. There’s no way to monitor the millions of retailers available online, and Capital One Shopping focuses on the biggest, most popular merchants. While it does eliminate a lot of research you have to do, the extension doesn’t cover the whole gamut.
It sometimes finds expired offers. Retailers change their prices and coupon codes often, so Capital One Shopping might show you an offer that’s no longer available when you try to make the purchase. Similarly, the extension might show you an item that has recently become out of stock.
It may not give you a better deal compared to a cashback portal. For example, you might get a Capital One Shopping offer for 5% less, but Swagbucks or Rakuten is giving 10% cashback for shopping with the same merchant.
It collects a lot of data. The extension tracks and records things like emails, addresses, cookies, location, third-party beacons, payment information and transaction data. In this day and age, remember that you’re the product if the service is free.
It can slow down your browser. Like any other extension or add-on software, Capital One Shopping can negatively affect your browser’s performance.
Capital One Shopping is an easy and low-effort way to save money when making purchases – online with the extension and in-store with the mobile app.
If you’re someone who wants to save money, but you don’t want to manually comb through the internet for a good deal, then Capital One Shopping is likely a good solution for you. It finds better deals on items you already plan on purchasing, it’s free, and it provides rewards with a linked credit card.