This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
GIG Car Share is now offering $15 – $25 bonus credit when you register using a referral link. If you’re a AAA member, save 10% on every GIG trip. You’ll also get a $15 – $25 credit bonus for every person you refer to the car sharing app.
Created by AAA, GIG is a one-way car sharing service available in the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento. It’s similar to Enterprise CarShare and Zipcar. But unlike traditional car sharing services, you don’t have to return your GIG car to where you picked it up.
To learn more about GIG Car Share and its current offers, keep reading.
Promos from other car share services: HyreCar, Avail, Getaround. See our best rideshare offers page for more.
GIG Car Share $25 Welcome Bonus
Get $15 to $25 (amount updates often) in driving credits when you use a referral link, successfully register and are accepted as a GIG member.
Driving credits are good towards your first or consecutive trips, depending on the amount. These credits will expire 90 days after their award date.
Here are some referral links you can use:
GIG Car Share $25 Referral Credits
Get $15 – $25 in driving credits for each person you refer when they take their first GIG trip. Each of your referrals will also get driving credits as well.
You can earn up to $500 in referral bonuses annually. To participate, go to the app, click on “Free Rides” in the menu and share your personal link.
See the referral program terms.
GIG Car Share 10% AAA Discount
AAA members get 10% off every GIG trip. Simply call Member Support to get your AAA discount.
Not a AAA member? Join the emergency roadside organization by clicking here.
How GIG Car Share Works
GIG stands for “Get In, Go.” With the app, you can easily book a rental car and unlock it. Here’s how it works:
- Use the GIG app to find available cars within the HomeZone, an approved area for picking up and dropping off GIG cars. Or, walk up to a GIG car on the street. If the windshield light is green, it’s available.
- Once you book a car, you have 30 minutes to unlock it before it becomes available again to other GIG users.
- Unlock the car with your phone. After your first trip, you’ll get a GIG Card mailed to you. It’s got a unique RFID chip in it that can also unlock GIG cars.
- Inspect the car and report any dings, dents or damage via the app.
- Get in, and go. There’s no key. Simply put your foot on the brake, push the “Power” button and drive. Go anywhere you want within the United States. If you want to make a stop without giving up the car, choose “Stopover” in the app.
- Return the car to any GIG-approved parking space within the HomeZone.
GIG Car Share Rates
Pay only for what you use. GIG will do the math and figure out the lowest rate for you.
Fuel, insurance and parking are included.
Bay Area GIGs are hybrid cars.
|Per Mile||$2.50 (up to $15)|
|Per Day||$85/Saturday or Sunday|
$69/Monday to Friday at 4pm
Sacramento GIGs are electric cars.
|Per Minute||$0.40 (up to $15)|
|Per Hour||$15 (up to $85)|
|Per Day||$85, everyday|
- Park and come back on short trips less than hour. $0.30/minute
- Surcharge over 250 miles per trip. $0.45/mile
- Every GIG car is registered with FasTrak. Tolls are automatically billed to your account the following month.
- Lost car documents or materials. $20
- Declined credit card fee. $25
- Excessive cleaning. $100
- Smoking in car. $100
- Unauthorized parking. $100
- Towed cars. $150 + tow fees
- Unlocked car. $100
- Drained battery. $100
- Unauthorized use of car by third party. $150
- Abandoned car. $50 + $5/mile outside of HomeZone
- Parking and driving violation tickets. Face value of tickets.
All fees are subject to a $25 processing fee and applicable taxes.
If you live in the Bay Area or Sacramento, and you need to rent a car for whatever reason, GIG Car Share is a neat option. Membership is free with no sign-up fees. You only pay for what you use and for relatively low rates too. Plus, all GIG cars are eco-friendly.
READ MORE: See The Best Bank Promotions Here And The Best Investing Promotions Here
Higher welcome signup bonus use STUDENT30
Thanks for the great write up. Day rates are even cheaper for Electric Gigs in Sacramento – just $59 a day.