This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In partnership with One Tree Planted, Kin will plant 100 trees for every person you successfully refer to the home insurance provider. Kin offers convenient and affordable insurance for homeowners. They specialize in high-risk properties, such as mobile homes and areas prone to flooding. According to the company, the average homeowner saves $500 by switching to Kin. Keep reading to learn more about Kin and their referral offer.
Kin is only available in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois and Texas.
Kin Plants 100 Trees For Every Referral
Kin offers a different kind of referral program, putting money where their values lie. For every person you refer who gets a Kin home insurance policy, they’ll plant 100 trees in your state, in partnership with One Tree Planted. Here’s how it works:
- Kin gives you a referral link.
- You share your link with your friends.
- One of your friend gets a Kin home insurance policy.
- Kin plants 100 trees in your state.
The trees planted are native species, so they have the best chance of survival.
Kin Home Insurance Features
To generate your homeowners insurance quote, Kin relies heavily on data. After entering your address, the company pulls property records, real-estate listings and even satellite images to determine your rates. That data, along with your own personal information, are used to provide a quote within minutes. You won’t need to spend 1+ hours filling out forms online, and you won’t need to talk to an agent over the phone. If you do need assistance from an agent, you can contact one via the website’s chat function.
Kin offers all standard home insurance coverages, including coverage for your dwelling, other structures, personal property, personal liability, loss of use and medical payments. Unlike most insurers, Kin provides insurance based on replacement cost, rather than the actual cash value. This takes out depreciation from your claim payout, which means you’ll get the full amount required to replace what you lost in the event of covered property damage.
Kin also provides:
- Scheduled property coverage for valuables like jewelry and antiques that comes with their own sub-limits.
- Identity fraud protection which will cover accrued expenses, such as legal costs, and includes assistance from an identity theft specialist who provides guidance while you restore your identity.
- Flood insurance as an endorsement in Florida. There’s no 30-day waiting period, and it covers your property up to your specific coverage limits.
- Wind & hail coverage is part of the standard homeowners policy. You get to choose between the typical amounts – 1% to 10% of your dwelling coverage – or a flat rate, depending on state regulations.
Other lines of insurance include condo, mobile home, landlord, umbrella and second-home insurance.
Kin Home Insurance Rates & Discounts
Kin Insurance offers some of the cheapest home insurance quotes on the market, compared to other big insurers like Allstate and Amica:
Standard deductibles are $500, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000 and $10,000+. Increasing your deductible will lower your annual premium, but you’ll be responsible for more upfront costs when you file a claim.
Kin will automatically search for applicable discounts when you sign up for one of their insurance policies online, including:
- Electronic policy
- Home community
- New homeowner
- Mature homeowner
- Pay in full
- Wind mitigation
- Fire mitigation
- Accredited builder
- Responsible repair
- LEED-certified home
Special discounts, with Kin partners, include:
FLO installs a device in your main water line to detect irregularities in your water consumption. The system can shut off your water supply in the event of an emergency, like a burst water pipe. Kin policyholders get this system for free ($499 in value). And if you install it, you’re also eligible for a $50 annual discount on your homeowners insurance policy.
LiveWatch is a home security system that will also monitor your home for fire and carbon monoxide. Kin policyholders get this system for free ($99 in value). Installing LiveWatch will also make you eligible for approximately $100 in savings per year on your homeowners insurance policy.
MyStrongHome offers Kin policyholders financing for a new roof or better opening protection. This is technically not a discount, but making home improvements will often lead to more affordable home insurance quotes.
Kin Home Insurance Limitations
Before moving forward with Kin, keep in mind the following:
- Kin only offers homeowners coverage. So you won’t be able to bundle your home and car insurance with Kin, which usually lowers the premium for both policies.
- As we mentioned before, Kin has limited availability, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois and Texas.
Kin is a great home insurance option that’s convenient and affordable, especially with all the discounts available. Plus, they’ll plant 100 trees in your state with every successful referral you make.
Of course, if you don’t live in a state where Kin offers coverage, you’ll have to consider another home insurance provider.