Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Here are all the important things you need to know about American Express Gift Cards. Be sure to check out the other necessary specifics below, especially on how to save money on Amex gift cards with promo codes.
- Where To Buy American Express Gift Cards: Online Vs In-Store
- American Express Gift Card Purchase & Shipping Fees
- Today’s American Express Gift Card Promotional Codes: No Fees
All The Good And The Bad:
- American Express Gift Cards can be used at just about any merchant who accepts American Express credit cards.
- Currently you can only use them at any business in the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- They cannot be used at Cruise Lines, ATMs or for recurring billing purchases, such as cell phones or subscriptions.
- They are prepaid payment cards that are issued with a set dollar amount. They are not credit cards, charge cards or debit cards and the total dollar value appears on the front of the Gift Card or Business Gift Card carrier, or on your store receipt.
- There are no monthly fees, no inactivity fees, and funds don’t expire. There is a “valid thru” date on your card (somewhere close to 10 years in the future), and if you ever draw close to that date you can simply call in to get a replacement card or request an issued check.
- American Express Gift Cards are most popular as a Business gift. They are great for employees and colleagues in the office. Family and friends will also appreciate them as well, of course.
- Amex Gift Cards are available as a Business gift card or a Personal gift card, and they are both accepted the same way.
- Amex Business Gift Cards are available with custom messages or with your business logo on them. Business gift card purchases can total up to $75,000, or even more by calling into 1-800-316-4420.
- Amex Personal Gift Cards are also available with custom messages and personal photos, and purchases can total up to $5,000.
- American Express Gift Cards can be purchased online or in-store, with some differences discussed here.
- *When buying online, Citibank credit cards have been notorious for categorizing the purchase as a Cash Advance, resulting in a Cash Advance fee on your Citi card. Most other credit cards won’t categorize them as a Cash Advance.
- There are no fees for the recipient to worry about, making them excellent gifts. Fees are involved in the purchase of the gift card, which you can read about here.
- American Express Gift Cards are a popular way to meet the minimum spending requirements for credit card bonus offers. This allows you to earn your card bonus, and then spend the money on your gift card at your own leisure.
- You can use your American Express Membership Rewards points to purchase an American Express Gift Card. A minimum of 1,000 points is required.
- Pertinent web addresses: