This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Note: The Payoff Loan is now part of Happy Money (happymoney.com)
Not your average broker, Payoff is an online financial wellness company that employs a team of psychologists, scientists and techies to provide you with tools and services to better understand your finances and help you reach your goals more quickly. It specializes in helping borrowers pay off their high-interest credit card debt by combining them into one monthly payment at a fixed rate and term. Keep reading for the good, the bad and my breakdown of unsecured personal loans with Payoff.
See the Student Loan Refinancing and Personal Loans bonus offers from Credible here and SoFi here.
- No collateral required. Don’t own a house? It’s not going to be an issue here.
- Simple application process. Just head over to Payoff’s website and apply online.
- Soft credit check. The initial credit check won’t affect your credit score, but if your loan is approved, a hard inquiry will show up on your report.
- Fixed rate. It won’t budge for the entire duration of your loan term.
- No penalty fees. Payoff does not make you pay late, check-processing, returned check, insufficient funds or prepayment fees.
- Payoff tools. So called “empowerment science” assessments to evaluate your financial personality, stress and cash flow. The aim is to better understand yourself and your financial habits.
- Personal service. You’ll receive a welcome call once you accept the loan, and Payoff Member Advocates will perform quarterly check-ins during your first year. Customer service is available via phone, email and live chat.
- Career support. If you lose your job, Payoff will work with you to create a new payment plan for your loan. Its team of recruiters can also review your resume, provide job interview advice and assist with find you a new job.
- Rebuild your credit. Payoff reports your payments to all three major credit bureaus, so you can rebuild your credit by making on-time payments. Customers who paid off at least $5,000 in credit card debt saw an average credit score increase of 40 points within the first four months of receiving their loan.
- Not available in all states. A Payoff personal loan is only available in less than half of the United States. Bad news if you live in Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
- Restricted fund use. A personal loan through Payoff can only be used for debt consolidation.
- For those with good credit. You should not have any delinquencies greater than 90 days within the past 12 months.
- Funding time. It could take anywhere from 2 to 7 days before you receive your funds.
Applicants must have a minimum credit score of 640 and a maximum debt-to-income ratio of 50%. There is minimum annual income requirement of $40,000. You must have at least two years of good credit history with two open lines of credit of which you’ve made on-time payments.
Payoff Terms & Fees
|Loan Amounts||$5,000 – $35,000|
|Loan Terms||2 to 5 years|
|Origination Fee||0% – 5%|
|Funding Time||2 to 7 business days|
|Soft Credit Check?||Yes|
|APR||5.99% – 24.99%|
|How To Qualify?||
|Late Payment Fee||None|
|NSF Payment Fee||None|
|Check Processing Fee||None|
Payoff is a great option for people with good credit histories, but struggling to pay off their high-interest credit card debt. The application is quick and easy with only an initial soft credit check and no collateral required. Your rates are fixed, and there aren’t any penalty fees whatsoever. Payoff prides itself on its member benefits and services like “empowerment science” assessments, personal service from member advocates, and career support.
|Loan Term||48 months|
|Origination Fee (3.5%)||$700|
However, you can only use your Payoff personal loan for debt consolidation. Most Payoff borrowers have good credit with no delinquencies greater than 90 days in the past year, so your chances of getting approved with bad credit is slim. Funding can take up to 7 days, much longer than the average online broker. You must also live in a state where Payoff offers loans.
Compare all the best personal loan lenders here.
READ MORE: See The Best Bank Promotions Here And The Best Investing Promotions Here
Leave a Reply