- Editor Rating
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus Bonus
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PopularityEditor: 95%
- ValueEditor: 95%
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® is currently offering a 50,000 miles sign-up bonus worth $525. In terms of value, this is one of the best credit card bonuses available.
If it weren’t for the $89 annual fee, this card and offer would be a no-brainer. Thankfully, the annual fee is waived for the first year, which will give you enough time to evaluate how useful this card will be for your future needs.
Regardless of the annual fee after the first year, the high rewards earning rate will likely make it valuable for you if you typically spend enough on credit card purchases annually.
We love bonus opportunities (bank bonuses are our specialty) and this one definitely caught our eye enough to write about. For more in-depth reviews of this card, see the write-ups from Valuepenguin and NerdWallet.
We’ll review the bonus offer for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ card below.
50,000 Bonus Miles Worth $525 With The Barclaycard Arrival Plus™
You’ll earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. When you redeem towards qualified travel purchases, these 50K points will be worth $500. Add to that the 5% in bonus miles you’ll get back after redemption, the bonus is effectively worth $525 in travel.
As an everyday spending card, you’ll earn 2 miles per $1 spent on all purchases. Taking into account the 5% miles back after redemption, you’re essentially getting back 2.1% in rewards with this card. This makes it one of the best rewards cards for everyday use, without any thought needed towards spending categories.
Keep in mind, if you don’t plan on redeeming towards travel, this may not be the right fit for you. Redeeming towards cash back, gift cards, or merchandise will make your miles worth much less. But, unlike airline or hotel branded credit cards, you have the flexibility to redeem towards travel purchased on any airline, hotel, or travel website. The Barclaycard Arrival Plus card categorizes many different options as travel:
|Travel Spending Categories|
|Airlines||Hotels||Car Rental Agencies|
|Motels||Travel Agencies||Discount Travel Sites|
You’ll have to reach at least 10,000 miles before you can start redeeming towards travel, which can be used towards travel purchases worth $100 or more within the last 120 days. If an airline ticket cost you $250, you can redeem 10,000 miles ($100) towards that purchase. In practicality, airfare and hotels will be redeemed for most often. There’s no rush to use your miles as they will never expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing.
How To Get The 50,000 Miles Bonus
If you can spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening, then you’re set. Keep in mind, it’s 90 days from the time your account is approved, not from when you actually receive the card and activate it.
If you don’t know if you can spend $3,000 in 90 days, or if you are taking advantage of multiple card bonuses, here are some ideas to help you reach the minimum spending requirement.
- Fund Checking accounts with the credit card. Many banks allow credit card funding towards the opening deposit when you open a Checking account. Many people like doing this when taking advantage of Checking and Savings account bonuses. For example, you can fund up to $100 towards the opening deposit for the Northpointe Bank bonus. See more on credit card funding here, and current bank bonuses here.
- Buy Gift Cards. Purchase gift cards to restaurants, gas stations, or supermarkets that you know you’ll eventually spend on anyway. American Express and Visa Gift cards are also good ideas, but they will involve purchase fees. Here are some gift card ideas. Be careful with Citi credit cards, as they will code gift card purchases as Cash Advances and you’ll incur the fee. Call in to customer service and lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before purchasing gift cards.
- Bills, Mortgage, Property Taxes. Most electric, internet, cable and cell phone providers will let you pay your monthly bill with a credit. Many will also let you pre-pay and keep a credit balance on your account as well. You can use third party services like TIO.com and Plastiq.com to pay for your mortgage and other expenses where you normally can’t use a credit card for.
*See all the best ways of meeting the minimum spending requirements for credit card bonuses here.
What’s The Competition?
The main competitor card bonuses for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® are going to come from the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card and the Capital One® Venture® card. Both of these competitors have good bonus offers, with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® edging out the rewards earning potential if you spend a good deal on Travel and Dining. You’ll have to redeem towards travel to maximize the rewards for both cards.
If you don’t think you’ll spend enough on your card to justify an annual fee, the Citi Double Cash card may be a better fit with its 2% maximum cash back rate on all purchases. It just doesn’t have a sign-up bonus offer to top it off.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred®
Capital One® Venture®
Citi Double CashThe bonus offers available are going to be a big consideration for the first year or first few years, since the bonus will essentially cover the annual fee for that period of time. This is something you should keep mind before taking a card out of consideration just because it has an annual fee. After the first year or so, you’ll then have to weigh the annual fees and the ongoing rewards earning potential.
More At MoneysMyLife:
- Best Savings Accounts And High Yield Rates For January 2017
- Best Bank Account Promotions And Bonuses January 2017
- TD Bank Review: $100 & $200 Checking Account Bonuses
- BBVA Compass Bank Checking, Savings, CD Account Promotions
- Northpointe Bank Review: $50 Bonus And 5% APY Checking!
- Chase $150 – $350 Checking & Savings Coupon Bonuses When Opening
- Best Brokerage Promotions And Bonuses January 2017
- Best CD Rates | Find & Compare CD Rates – January 2017
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus 50,000 Bonus Miles ($525 Value)
- Barclaycard CashForward $100 Cash Bonus [Cash Back Credit Card]
- Best Credit Card Sign-Up Bonus Offers, Promotions – January 2017
- American Express Gift Card Promotion Code January 2017
- TD Ameritrade Promotions: $2500 Cash Bonus And Free Trades!
- Chase Total Checking Account $200 Coupon Bonus, Promo Code
- The Best Gift Cards For 2017 And How To Save Money On Them