- Editor Rating
- Rated 3.5 stars
- Very Good
- American Express High Yield Savings
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PopularityEditor: 75%
- RatesEditor: 75%
American Express offers a High Yield Online Savings Account with a 0.90% APY rate.
Since the purpose of this account is to save money over time, American Express does not provide checks or an ATM/Debit card to personal savings accounts. It’s an online-only account available to everyone nationwide, so you’ll need to link another external Checking account in order to make easy online cash transfers.
About The American Express Savings Account
American Express Company (NYSE: AXP) or AmEx, is an American financial services corporation headquartered in Three World Financial Center, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States. Founded in 1850, it is one of the 30 components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. American Express credit cards account for approximately 24% of the total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the US, the highest of any card issuer.
Fortune listed Amex as one of the top 20 Most Admired Companies in the World. I bring this up only as a reminder you can be confident about where your money is going.
Like any other trusted online account, the American Express High Yield Savings Account is fully protected by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). The maximum insured amount is $250,000 per depositor.
Online Savings Account Features
There are no limits to how many deposits one can make per statement cycle. People who want to add money to their savings on a weekly or even daily basis have the option to do so. There is no minimum initial deposit required. Clients must make a deposit within 60 days of their savings application being approved to activate their accounts or else it will be closed.
As with all savings accounts, the more you put away to save, the more interest you stand to gain. The chart below is an estimate of how much interest one could gain when opening a savings account with $1000 and making a monthly recurring deposit of $200 over a period of five years.
|Duration||Estimated Future Value||Interest Earned|
|*Estimate based on 0.90% APY rate. Our team updates rates daily, but always check directly with the bank.|
Opening An Amex Online Savings Account
Savings accounts can be applied for online or by phone. To get started, you’ll need to have the following information:
- SSN and date of birth
- Account and routing numbers (primary applicants)
- Home address, email and phone number
Next, select the High Yield Savings Account and submit your application. Once your application has been approved, you’ll get an email or online confirmation as well as an American Express Savings welcome kit in the mail. Then all there is left to do is to add funds to your account. You can either link an external Checking account and transfer funds that way, or send American Express a check by mail. From then on, you’ll start earning interest on your account.
Current List Of The Best Savings Accounts
*Compare the Best Savings & Money Market Rates here
- Chase $150 – $350 Checking & Savings Coupon Bonuses When Opening
- EverBank Review: Checking, Money Market, CD Promotions And Bonuses
- Discover Online Savings & Money Market Promotions, Offers
- Popular Direct Online Savings And CD Account Promotions
- Northpointe Bank Review: $50 Bonus And 5% APY Checking!
- AloStar Bank Of Commerce Savings & CD Account Promotions, Offers
- Ally Bank Online Checking, Savings, Money Market, CDs Promos Up To 1.75% APY
- Synchrony Bank Online Savings, CD, Money Market Accounts Up To 2.05% APY
- BBVA Compass Bank Checking, Savings, CD Account Promotions
- Goldman Sachs Bank Savings And CD Account Promotions
- SFGI Direct Online Savings Account Promotion: 1.06% APY
- Salem Five Direct Checking, Savings, CD Account Promotions
- Online Savings account that offers convenience, low fees, and good rates.
- Well known bank with great longstanding reputation
- While rates are good, many other online banks have higher, with all the same standard features